good

language

keywords:
d/c: dream college
f/b: family business

you and ricky had started dating eight months ago, shortly after the east high production of high school musical ended. it had been the best eight months of your life, and it honestly didn't take long for you to realize that you loved ricky.

at the beginning of your relationship, you two silently and mutually agreed to have a very open relationship, telling each other every thing—from the seemingly smallest things ("i went to the store to get pants but they had a terrible selection, so i don't have any new pants right now.") to the big news ("my parents are getting a divorce.") and due to this, you knew how his relationship with nini came to an end.

so although you wanted to shout "i love you, ricky bowen!" from the rooftops, you chose to keep your mouth shut—being with him is the best thing that's ever happened to you, and you don't want to jeopardize it. so you'd decided to wait for him to say it first; you hoped he would say it first.

currently, you were sitting at your desk, on the application page for your dream college. you had a few other tabs opened as well, the application pages for backup colleges.

ricky is lying on your bed, watching videos on his phone. from what you know, ricky currently plans on taking a gap year. though you kind of hope he'll change his mind because you just know he could make it into some good colleges (you want him with you at d/c).

you turn around in your swivel chair to look at him, smiling though he's not looking at you, preoccupied with whatever is playing on his screen. taking a deep breath, you turn back to face your computer and, chewing on your bottom lip, you move the mouse to click on "apply now."

there's no going back now. 

well, you could but you're not going to. no way. 

slowly but surely, you fill out the application and send it in. you shut your computer, releasing all your nerves in one long exhale, choosing to fill out the other applications at a later time. you stand up and walk over to your bed. ricky shuts off his phone, setting it on your nightstand and opening his arms for you. you gladly climb onto your bed, snuggling into his chest. he wraps his arms tight around you.

"what's going on in that head of yours?" he asks, voice soft but curious. a hand cups your cheek, his thumb lightly running along your cheekbone. 

"just . . . thinking about the future, i guess," you reply.

his brown eyes shine under the dimmed lights of your bedroom and your heart nearly bursts out of your chest from all the love you feel for him.

"what about it?"

"college. i just- i really want to go to d/c, ricky. i mean, i have multiple backup plans as you know, but d/c has been my dream since i was little. and i guess i've only ever thought of it, not these other ones. and i just don't know what i'll do if i don't get in. maybe i'll take a gap year off with you, if you'd let me. or i could work with f/b. but that doesn't feel right either, you know? only d/c feels right and i—"

finally, ricky has enough of your rambling and shuts you up with a quick, gentle kiss. when he pulls away, he smiles at you.

"hey," he murmurs.

you blink, a little surprised by the kiss. eight months and you're still not over how well this boy can kiss you. you're not sure if you'll ever get over it.

"hey," you breathe.

"i need to tell you something."

licking your lips, you gesture for him to continue.

"it's really important that you listen," his smile widens.

you laugh, playfully smacking his shoulder.

"well what is it, bowen?"

"i think that you are the most amazing person. and you're so smart, y/n. you're going to get in, don't doubt that. also, i love you."

you almost don't catch that last part with how casually he lets it slip.

your eyes widen in surprise and you swear, the biggest smile ever adorns your face. you throw your arms around him, squeezing him tightly. he reciprocates, letting out a laugh that has your heart stuttering.

"i love you too, ricky. i do."

"yeah?" he says, giving you a short kiss. 

"i've loved you for a while actually," you smile down at him. "i just needed you to say it first."

"i love you." he says again, going in for another kiss. 

"i love you." 

"good," he laughs breathlessly. "god, it feels so good to say that." 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

other notes: —