October 31st

Note: Hey, guys! This is my first fanfiction that I'm uploading. I'm sorry that it's short; I wrote it while I was bored at school. I really hope you enjoy!

I was sitting in my office when Professor Dumbledore rushed in looking panicked. I looked up from the papers that I had been grading and was so startled that I accidentally smeared the 0 I had been awarding to a first-year Gryffindor. "What is so important, Professor?" I asked relatively impatiently. "Severus, you must come with me. It is imperative." At that moment, I felt a tingle on my arm. I pulled up the sleeve of my robes and saw that the tattoo that had been so noticeable earlier that day had faded to almost nothing. It was at that moment that I noticed that something was wrong. Dumbledore had certainly looked panicked... I stood up and followed him as he rushed out of the door. "What could have happened that put you into such a frenzy?" I inquired. He looked at me and paused in the hallway. In a tentative manner, he started speaking. "This may come as quite a shock to you... Tonight, an event that will impact the world has occurred. Sirius Black gave them away." "You don't mean..." They couldn't... She couldn't... "Yes, Severus. I am sorry to say that Lily and James Potter are dead."

I was indeed in shock. With a crack, I apparated to their little home in Godric's Hollow. The gate and front door had been blown open. I ran inside, feeling tears come to my eyes. I tripped over something on the stairs of the decimated house and in horror realized that it had been the body of James. The man I had hated so much over the years, dead. I wasn't sure how to feel; I pushed my thoughts aside. He wasn't the one I was here for. I hurried into the bedroom and saw what I had feared the most: the body of Lily Potter, lying on the floor. The tears were flowing freely now. I rushed over, sobbing, and picked her up. If I could only speak to her one last time... My dear Lily, dead. I was lost in my thoughts when a sound awoke me: a baby crying. It wasn't possible. Their son couldn't have survived! Harry Potter, an infant, survived when Lily and James didn't? I set Lily down gently and went over to the crib in the corner of the room. In it lay a crying baby with messy brown hair. He had green eyes, just like Lily's... And something that made me pause. A single cut had appeared on his forehead in the shape of a lightning bolt. Seeing this made me remember a quite pressing matter. This was obviously the work of the Dark Lord, but where had he gone? I realized that I should probably get back to Hogwarts, but I didn't want to leave my dear Lily here, not to mention Harry. "I'll be back soon, my love. I... I'm sorry," I whispered. I turned and a moment later I was back at Hogwarts.

Note: I was in 5th grade when I wrote this, so sorry if it's cheesy.