Story prompt #1

Story prompt: Start the story with a sentence that is genuinely happy and upbeat with no double meaning. Then end the story with the same sentence but this time it has a dark and malicious meaning.

"you have no power over me."

yeah, I said that. to my high school bully who wouldnt leave me alone. and do you know what? it felt amazing to finally stand up against him. Alexander was his name. everyone called him Alex for short. he thought it made him sound cooler. he was just such a douchebag.

"hey, sky."

"yeah?"

"we're going to the haunted corn maze. you wanna come with?"

I've always loved haunted corn mazes, so of course I was down.

"sure."

"great, meet us there later, at like 6:30."

"kay, see ya then."

I opened my car door and started her up. since it was only 2:00, I decided I had plenty of time to spare. so I did what a normal person would do. take a nap.

"sky! wake up!"

"ugh, I'm up, I'm up."

"good, dinner's ready."

I rolled over and looked at my clock. 5:37. I had plenty of time to eat a little bit of dinner and meet everyone at 6:30. I walked downstairs and sat at the dinner table.

"so, how was school?"

"really good actually. I took your advice and stood up to him today, dad."

"really? and how did it go?"

"he walked away. he was really stunned that I had said anything. it he wakes away and left me alone for the rest of the day."

"that's my girl. you going to the hounted corn maze?"

"yeah, some of my friends are going."

"okay, just don't be too late coming home, alright."

"alright mom. see you later tonight."

I hopped into my car and started for the local park with the corn maze. when I got there, it was semipacked full. it was the perfect amount of people. not enough people where it's too crowded, but still enough for there to be plenty of screams. I walk up to the counter and buy myself a ticket and wait. everyone finally shows up at 6:45.

"sorry we're late. we kinda Dan into some traffic getting here."

"that's alright. come on, let's get going."

we entered the maze having set some ground rules. the first and most important one of all was that no man gets left behind. that was basically the only rule. we probably got have way through with a number of scares that had us all running. finally, we get to a fork in the path. typically, we had always go left, so I thought we would go left as well. no one way saying anything because they wanted to be able to hear what was going on. I went left, when they a went right. I hadn't noticed I was all alone until I heard a noise behind me. I turned, finally noticing that no one else was with me. that's when I saw him. Alexander, holding a knife in a gloved hand. I tried to back up and run but me and my stupid butt tripped over something and was frozen from fear.

"whats wrong? not confident enough anymore?"

I couldn't say anything to save the life of me.

"cat got your tounge? well, no worries. I'm not here to make small talk anyways."

I had the snese knocked bamc into me and I started crawling backwards. I needed to get out of here.

"ah, ah, aahh. you're not going anywhere."

he was on top of me with the knife right up agaisnt my throat. even in the dark, I could see his deragned smile and the wild look in his eyes. I knew what was coming. but he was just prolonging it to make it even worse. and then, his smile just got bigger. he leaned closer to my ear and whispered one final sentence that left me shaking in my own skin.

"you...have no power...over me."