Prologue

The Malfoy trial was over quickly. Lucius was sentenced to life in Azkaban. Narcissa, one year of house arrest. As he had been an underage wizard under duress, Draco was not punished. He was, however, required to return to Hogwarts for his final year.

Which, Harry imagined, would probably be punishment enough.

It was largely due to Harry's testimony that Draco and Narcissa were sentenced to such lax punishment. He'd told the Wizengamot about Draco hesitating when he could have killed Dumbledore. About how Voldemort had been threatening his family if he didn't complete the task. He told them about Draco pretending he didn't immediately recognize Harry, Hermione, and Ron when they were captured and taken to Malfoy Manor, when he obviously knew who they were after being in the same year at Hogwarts for six years.

He told them that Narcissa had lied to Voldemort, telling him that Harry was dead when he was not, so that he was able to duel the Dark Lord once more and ultimately defeat him.

Now the Malfoys were finally free from Voldemort and, despite everything, Harry wanted them to be able to be able to move forward with their lives.

The hatred he'd once felt for Draco had faded away, leaving only compassion for the other boy. He was still so young— They both were. Draco may have been a school bully, but he wasn't a killer, and he hadn't deserved to suffer the way he had under Voldemort's thumb, practically a prisoner in his own home.

Harry watched the small family as they said their goodbyes, and Lucius was led away. Draco's lower lip quivered and Harry felt a twinge of sympathy. Narcissa was stone-faced as she watched her husband leave the room between two Aurors.

Then, Harry remembered what he needed to do. He took a deep breath, bracing himself, before approaching the mother and son, who were now speaking with a wizard about the specifics of Narcissa's house arrest.

Harry glanced up at the bench and made eye contact with the newly appointed Minister of Magic and leader of the Wizengamot, Kingsley Shacklebolt. Kingsley smiled warmly at Harry and nodded, encouraging him.

Harry walked up to the Malfoys and waited for their conversation to finish, then awkwardly cleared his throat.

Narcissa ignored him and asked the Auror in charge of her house arrest another question about the terms, but Draco turned his grey eyes on Harry, watching him apprehensively.

"What do you want, Potter?"

"Malfoy. I just — I wanted to say I'm sorry."

Draco raised an eyebrow.

"About everything. I'm sorry for Sectumsempra last year, I didn't know what that spell would do to you and I really wish I hadn't done it and I'm sorry about your dad and—" Harry paused for a second, he knew he was babbling, "—And I'm sorry I took your wand."

Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out the hawthorn wand, offering it to him handle-first. "I was hoping to get a chance to return it to you today."

Draco reached out and took his wand, relief washing over his face.

"Thanks, Potter."

Harry held out his hand and Draco stared at it, suspicious once more. "I'm not sure when we'll see each other again, but when we do, I hope we can be friends."

"Friends," Draco parroted, staring at Harry again, his expression impassive. "You're not coming back to Hogwarts." It wasn't a question.

"No, Kingsley offered me a position in the next group of Auror Academy students and I decided to take it. I don't think I could go back to Hogwarts after..." Harry winced and shook his head.

Draco nodded, understanding, then shrugged and shook Harry's hand quickly.

"See you around then, Potter." Draco turned away from him, while Harry turned to look at Narcissa, who had watched the end of their exchange.

"Thanks— For lying to Voldemort. For saving me." Narcissa Malfoy nodded, acknowledging him, but said nothing. She put a hand on Draco's shoulder and turned away as well.

The Malfoys were done talking, and Harry thought it was just as well. He had said what he needed to say and returned Draco's wand.

Now he could move forward, and, he hoped, so could they.