forty three

+

+

I sat on a random rooftop, legs tucked into my chest and chin set on top of my knees. I hugged my legs into my body, watching the orange sun slowly sink behind the konoha forest. The stars were beginning to come out, though the sun hadn't completely disappeared from view, the leaf village covered in its warm light. Even nearing the middle of fall, Konoha still remained as warm as ever. Kind of irritating honestly, they weren't even decent enough to have an actual fall season.

I wasn't sure how long I was up there. But enough time had passed from the mid afternoon till the point where the sun was beginning its descend. The light breeze from the altitude felt nice, and it reminded me a bit of home. I think I needed a bit of familiarity right now. Especially after learning... after learning what came of the people I could have called my family.

The thought still made me want to puke. But I wasn't sure what I was expecting to see either. It's obvious something bad happened to them. They wouldn't just drop kick me in the middle of a forest or something, would they? I sure hope they were more decent parents than that. I wasn't sure dying to protect me was any better than conveniently losing track of where I was though.

Actually, what the hell was I saying? That was definitely better. At least I knew they were halfway decent people. Yet, the question of why they were killed still remained. I only got a peak at a sliver of my past memories, but from the one I saw that did not include their unfortunate death, they seemed... they didn't only seem like decent people... they seemed like good people. People who wouldn't easily garner harsh punishment such as execution to their entire fucking family.

But maybe two year old me had a skewed perception of how things really were. Maybe they were actually terrible, mass murderers that were only kind to Hajime and I because we were their kids. Even the cruelest of people would develop a soft spot for their own children, right?

Oh wait, there was one thing I still didn't know.

Hajime.

Apparently I had an older brother. From what my old man told me, when he first picked me up I didn't do much besides cling to a blanket and blubber about some sort of 'nii-chan'. Why Kenji didn't think to tell me about this supposed brother until recently, or the fact I apparently showed up with something from my blood family, really did beat me.

But there had to be good reason for it, right? I mean.. there had to be.

Someone settled down beside me, but I could tell they didn't have any ill intent by their chakra. Unlike Ryuu, I wasn't skilled enough to recognize them. But I could tell what sort of emotions they had usually, since chakra tended to flare in a certain way. Not really the point right now, though.

"Hey, Kohana-chan."

I relaxed a little at the sound of Naruto's voice. Tucking my chin deeper into my legs, I watched the sun continue to sink behind the Konoha forest. "Hey, Naruto-kun."