Chapter 1

It was the beginning of January when I saw her moving into the apartment across from mine. Apart from her 'move in day', I hadn't really seen her since. I shared my apartment with three people from my internship; we were all really lucky to have landed the internship, let alone this apartment. I mean, I highly doubt any of us would be able to afford a four bedroom apartment in Kensington, London anytime soon. Not many internships come with accommodation included, so I was extremely grateful to be in this position. But anyway, I hadn't really thought too much of the small brunette- who lived opposite us- or really gave her a second thought until I left our apartment building and saw her speaking to a small group of teenage girls, who seemed to be very enthralled to be in her presence.

But anyway, when I returned home that night and saw the small group of girls still hanging around out the front- no brunette present- I decided to question my roommates about it. I was curious as to whether they knew anymore than I did about our new neighbour.

"Hey, Margot." I greeted with a grin, seeing the petite girl sat at the breakfast bar in our kitchen eating pasta, "You good?"

Margot was one of my roommates, the one I was much closer to. She too was twenty three and worked in the same sector as me at work so we spent a lot of time together at work, as well as at home. Margot's mother was Filipeano and her father was French Canadian, so you can imagine just how beautiful she was. She spent her childhood in the suburbs of Montreal before her mother and father decided they wanted to choose a new home when she was fourteen, thus moving them to Bristol in the UK. I was not quite too sure on why they chose Bristol out of everywhere else in the world, but oh well, I guess whatever worked for them. Margot and I hit it off instantly when we met back in October and quickly became friends. Honestly, I did have a crush on her when we first met, but since becoming so close with her that has definitely shifted.

"Yup." Margot replied, "Jacob made this incredible vegan carbonara - there's enough for you on the stove if you wanted some." She said in between mouthfuls and gesturing to the pot on the stove with her fork, "How was your date?"

I quickly grabbed a bowl from the cabinet and started serving myself some of Jacob's carbonara he had made. Jacob was another one of our roommates and he honestly cooked the best food, which is why I reached so hastily for his carbonara. He was vegan and so we basically all ate as vegans too when at home, due to the fact Jacob cooked for himself but would feed us all. The rest of us were vegetarians but really enjoyed eating vegan. I mean, when your job involves monitoring and fighting climate change, it would be hard to continue eating meat.

But anyway, Jacob was twenty six and from California. He moved to London especially for this internship and just liked to complain about the cold, but we all knew he loved London by the way his eyes would gleam with fascination and the way he would talk about all the quirks of London everyone falls in love with. Jacob was, as you may like to call it, a 'ladies man' and I seemed to have lost count of all the different women I had seen leaving the apartment in the early/mid mornings. But I didn't mind how he wanted to spend his time with people, so long as he was respectful to the girls and not too loud. Jacob was always very sweet and charming and so I wasn't worried about the thought of him leading on women or being rude towards them. He was the type of man every man should strive to be in my eyes. I was close with him, but often didn't see him too much as he dealt with the journalism side of the company and so we often missed each other at work and then at home, we always seemed to be out when the other one was in and so forth.

"It was okay." I told Margot, starting to shovel the spaghetti into my mouth and sighing in delight at the taste.

Margot made a face in disgust as she looked on at my bad table manners, "Yuck, maybe try swallowing before you try shovelling in another forkful."