Prologue

The first thing I noticed when I began to wake up was the sounds. I could hear the calming hymns of the ocean crashing against some nearby rocks. I could hear the sound of the wind against my ears. Funny, I could even feel the brush of the breeze against my hair and skin. Slowly coming back to consciousness, I couldn't help but think that there was something I had been doing. This thought momentarily fled me as I began to notice...a beeping sound. At first, it appeared dull and muffled, but it was quickly growing in volume and intensity.

"OK. OK! I am getting up!"

As I reached to try and snooze my alarm, I couldn't feel anything but open air. Disgruntled, I attempted to roll over to get closer to it. However, no matter how hard I tried, I wasn't able to flip over in my bed. Come to think of it, I was a little cold. Where were my blankets?

Once more with quite a bit of effort, (I mean, I really had to engage my core this time) I was finally able to flip over in my bed. Only, I wasn't in my bed.

As soon as I flipped over, an endless rush of wind slammed right into my face. Instantly, any drowsiness I had was gone as my eyes flew wide open. Rushing towards me was indeed the ocean. Oh, and Lucky Me, I could also just make out all of the sharp and jagged rocks that I would soon be impaled on. That alarm I was hearing was not the one in my dorm room telling me to get up for class, rather it was the one that goes off when I am about to die. I thought about screaming, but I quickly thought against it. What was it going to do anyway? Slow my fall?

Slow my fall! That is what I needed to do!

Stretching out my arms and legs as far as they would go, I assumed a jumping jack position. When it comes to slowing yourself down, this is the way to do it. I should know, I find myself falling a lot these days.

Right now you may be telling yourself, "OMG, the main character is falling! I wonder how he will, like...not die."

First of all, I hope you read that in a High School drama voice. Second of all, I am here to tell you that there are not enough sad endings in the world, so maybe I am going to start a trend with this one. You never know, maybe I will get bored or something.

You may be thinking, Narrator, how are you telling the story if you died?

What are you gonna do Karen? Call my manager? I don't make the rules, I just tell my story. That is a good point though. I should probably be telling this like a story. OK, if you insist. Here we go. Cue the cliche beginning!

It all started in my college dorm room...