[4] ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴄᴘʀ - ᴘᴀʀᴛ 1

TW: Self-hate (nothing too horrible, just some of that good old fashioned self-deprecating humor and low self-esteem)

"Yeah... I'll always have you..."

~~*Alex*~~

"I don't get it! She's never out for this long and if she is, she tells me! Where could she be?! ALEX, WHERE IS SHE?! WHERE IS SHE?! WHERE IS MY DAUGHTER?!"

"You sure she's not at soccer still?"

"No, practice ends at 4:30 and she's always home by 5. If she's even a few minutes late, she texts me and her mom. That's how good she is. Something's DEFINITELY wrong."

Y/n's late.

I saw her at school today and she was fine. Excited, even. It was her 8 month anniversary with this guy that she's been dating. Jake... something.

A real Chad.

I hate that guy. For as long as I've known them together, he bullies me about the fact that he and Y/n are dating and that he's "beat" me or some crap like that. Gotta be honest, I don't exactly know what he exactly means so I've learned to just ignore him.

"YOU'RE HOME! THANK GOD! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" I was snapped out of my thoughts by a door slamming close and the voices of the impatient family welcoming the missing member back home.

My eyes met Y/n's and I threw my arms around her in worry just before asking her my millions of questions.

~*Y/n*~

"Hey- WOAH! What's going on?" As I closed the giant, wooden door behind me, I was suffocated by the warmth of my mother's arms and then attacked by her shaking me by the shoulders.

Once my mom let go of me, it was my best friend's turn to embrace me.

"Where have you been?" He finally asked once he let go and I was forced to face my family with the truth.

"Nothing, just... Jake and I broke up. OK? See? No big deal." I announced before trying to scurry up the stairs of my house. Unfortunately, my dad had the upper hand and stepped in my way before I could escape. Dammit.

"What do you mean 'you broke up'? I thought you two were doing good?" My mom questioned as she held me in her arms, hoping to comfort me. I brushed her off and flashed them all a smile.

"It's fine, it was mutual. After soccer, I asked him to pick me up and he was like 'ok sure.' He picked me up, my phone died before I could text you, and we went out for ice cream. As we ate, we started talking and one thing led to another and we landed on the topic of college and our future. Basically, I wanna go to law school... he wants to... not go to school- it-it just wouldn't work out in the long run, so we ended it. It was a mutual thing."

I could feel the pity and sorrow radiating off of everyone, but I knew no one would say anything. No one would talk to me about a breakup or ask me questions for at least 24 hours.

Except for maybe one person.

"Well, we'll get the fire started outside. You can go up and get ready."

"Thanks, Ma." I smiled before turning to climb up the stairs, whose path was now clear.

I walked upstairs and locked the door to my bedroom. I let myself fall to my knees and let out a deep breath I hadn't even realized I was holding. Two hot tears slid down my cheeks as I crawled to the underside of my bed. I pulled out a box and looked through its contents.