prologue

"Margot Anne!" The girls mom hollered from down the steps. She was holding a plastic spatula with pancake residue caked on the inside.

     "Margot Anne! Mr. McPherson is in the driveway!" She kept shouting.

     "I'm coming, mom!" The girl, whose name had been shouted more times than she would've liked on that Thursday morning, was rushing to slip her shoes onto her feet.

Margot Anne scrambled down the stairs with her backpack dipping further and further off her shoulder with every step. The smell of nearly burnt pancakes followed her out the door. Margots friend Lady Bird, and her father were waving to her. The exhausted girl practically collapsed into the backseat of her friends dads car.

     "thank you for picking me up, Mr.McPherson." margot acknowledged.

he looked at her through the mirror at the top of the car "no problem, Margot Anne."

the drive to immaculate heart was just about as one would expect when two best friends are driving with one of their fathers. quiet.

     "So, I was doing some research and I figured financial aid plus my scholarships would be able to get me to New York." Lady Bird broke the tense silence of the car ride.

Margot didn't know what to say. The harsh tone in her best friends voice eluded her to believe that Lady Bird had been thinking about that for awhile. like a long while.

When the girls slept over at the each other's houses, they talked about the future. What they wanted to do, and who they wanted to be were usually the two biggest questions. Margot Anne knew Bird would go on to do amazing things but she could only imagine herself as a clerk at the small record shop on the corner of rosewood drive.

     "Let us off here," Lady Bird instructed her father.

Margot knew that Bird and her father had talked about her college situation more while she was zoned out but it wasn't her place to ask.

     "Are you sure? I can drive you up further." Her father replied. Lady Bird shook her head while Margot sat silently.

"No, this is fine," Lady Bird wrapped her arms around her fathers neck and the two girls exited the car.

As Margot began walking down the sidewalk, she could feel the holes in her socks against the sole of her boots. Sneaking out the window and running down the street with no shoes on wasn't the best idea last summer but in the eyes of Margot Anne Rockswell, the small cuts on the bottoms of her feet were well worth it.