Prelude

Deathspell

Copyright ©  2020

All rights, electronic, print and other reserved by the author. The reproduction or other use of any part of this publication without the prior written consent of the rights holder is an infringement of the copyright law. This is a work of fiction. People and locations, even those with real names, have been fictionalized for the purposes of this story.

The moral right of the author has been asserted and has been identified as the author of this work in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988.

Cover art: Miblart Designs

****

For Mpoi Rafoltsane. (Wattpad reader)

For calling yourself my number one fan

For being there even when I wasn't

For helping me to stand again.

She arrived late afternoon, bringing with her a clash of thunder as lightning streaked the graying sky. It seemed the heavens were just as against her visit as I was. Still, she was here and there was no turning back. Her fate was to unravel for a purpose. She was born with the mark of the stone. It was inevitable she would face the ensuing battle.

For the past five months I had been observing this girl's confidence. Her sure-footed stubbornness proved she was named after the stone for more than just holding its power.

Only at times, I could see that even a girl of such vast strength could hold an inner weakness. In a crowded room she became quiet, anxious, refraining from social contact. I was eager to learn why.

The Locke's gardener carried her luggage up the stone steps to the manor. There he paused and looked out at the driveway and the distant forest. Maybe he sensed me. Maybe he feared, as much as I, what was about to happen.