But I'm Better Everyday

I walk into the rehab treatment centre with Matt, it's pretty welcoming at first look

I walk into the rehab treatment centre with Matt, it's pretty welcoming at first look. I look at the male nurse behind the desk, "Um... Hi... I'm here to get help with my addiction."

"We are happy to help! What's your name? What drug? My name is Trevor," Trevor sounds so calm and collected.

"I'm Josh, and I'm dependant on heroin..." I say quietly but loud enough I think.

"You are taking a good first step Josh, be proud!" Trevor says with a smile.

I turn to Matt and give him a hug, first time we really hugged. I look at him, "Thank you man, go to my apartment to feed the cats please? Oh, and don't forget to take my shirts drawer stash..."

"I will look after to your animals, You look after yourself Josh," Matt smiles, "Stay strong in there, it's going to be tough the first couple months. See you later Josh," Matt hugs me again and walks out of the centre. He looks back once more and smiles with a wave. "We will be a popular band, just you wait and see!" He adds knowing I'll like hearing that. He walks out of sight.

"You have a good buddy there," Trevor smiles, "I'll give you a tour of the centre and than show you, your room. We'll have our first meeting in your room today."

Trevor shows me around the centre; the cafeteria, the common space, and many other rooms. Seems like a hotel more than a rehab centre. It has a fucking movie room. The place is kind of shaped like a 'U' in a way. The tail of the letter being the entryway. "We aim for our residents to be comfortable in this tough time," he says, walking down a hall of doors now. "These are the resident's rooms, and this one is yours," stopping and unlocking a room. He pushes the door open. "We keep them locked at night for safety reasons."

A bed, a table with two chairs and a couch. Not much. I lay down on the bed and stretch out, my toes just touching the foot board. "Comfortable bed. Bit short"

"Only the best for the patients," Trevor sits at one of the tables chairs. Opening up a binder, "I just want to get to know you a bit... So we can help you the best we can!"

"Ask away, I am feeling tired so I might fall asleep. Fair worrying." My eyes are honestly pretty heavy right now. I sit up and look at Trevor waiting patiently. "I know this is going to test me... Being in here. It's going to be difficult."

He nods in agreement. "Who are you fighting for while in here?"

I look down at my self tattoo of her name, on my arm. I get teary but I push them away without them falling, "Amanda... If we get clean, we're going on a date. She's addicted to the same thing and getting help too I hope. Can you come back tomorrow? I'm tired."

"Okay Josh, sleep well. See you tomorrow morning after breakfast, which is at eight. We unlock the room doors shortly before eight." Trevor walks out and closes the door, locking it behind him. I hear his foot falls get quieter and quieter until the hall is silent. I hear a random scream. Probably common to hear around here.