Chapter 1 in which we observe a hair-raising event

The young Prince was known here and there (and just about everywhere else) as Prince Brat. Not even black cats would cross his path. One night the king was holding a grand feast. Sneaking around behind the lords and ladies, Prince Brat tied there powdered wigs to the back of there oak chairs. Then he hid behind a footman to wait. When the guest stood up to toast the king, their wigs came flying off. The lords clasped their bare heads as if they'd been scalped. The ladies shrieked Prince Brat (he was never called that to his face, of course) tried to keep from laughing. he clapped both hands over is mouth. but out it ripped, a crackle of hah-hahs and haw -haws and hee-hee-hees. The king spied him and he looked mad enough to spit ink. He gave a furious shout. "Fetch the whipping boy!" prince Brat knew he had nothing to fear. He was never spanked in his life. He was a Prince! And it was forbidden to spank, thrash, cuff, smack, or whip a prince. A common boy was kept in the castle to be punished in his place. "Fetch the whipping boy!" The kings command traveled like an echo from guard to guard up the stone stairway to a small chamber in the drafty north tower. An orphan boy named jemmy, the son of a rat catcher, roused from his sleep. He'd been dreaming happily of his ragged but carefree life before he'd been plucked from the streets and sewers of the city to serve as a royal whipping boy.  A guard shook him fully awake. "On your feet me boy." Jemmys eyes blazed up. "Aint i already been whipped twice today? Gaw! WHats the prince done now?" "Lets not keep the great folks waitin ',lad" In the main hall, the king said "Twenty whacks!" Defiantly biting back every yelp and cry, the whipping boy received the twenty whacks. Then the king turned to the prince. "And let that be a lesson to you!" "Yes papa." The prince lowered his head so as to appear humbled and contrite. but all the while he was feeling a growing exasperation with his whipping boy. In the tower chamber,the prince fixed him with a scowl."your the worst whipping boy i ever had! How come you never bawl?" "Dunno,"said Jemmy with a shrug. "A whipping boy is supposed to yowl like a stuck pig! we dress you fancy and feed you royal, dont we? Its not fun if you dont bawl!"Jemmy shrugged again. He was determined never to gloat over. "yelp and bellow next time. Hear? Or I'll tell papa to give you back your rags and kick you back into the streets." Jemmys spirits soared. Much obliged, Your Royal Awfulness! he thought. I'll take me rags, and ill be gone in a half-blink of an eye.

The Whipping Boysजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें