1

The street was very busy. I looked at my watch and it says it’s already past 12 noon. Today was one of the biggest celebration in the country, the Sinulog festival. I was with my family and we were heading to my uncle’s place. It’s on the outskirts of town. Their family invited us to celebrate with them.

“Hey, look in here.” I turned my head on my right side and saw my sister holding a selfie stick. I quickly plastered a smile on my face as she clicked the capture button. We were wearing the same outfit., jeans and a Sinulog shirt.

I let my eyes wander around the place and all I observed was that the houses were  very close to each other. Loud music boomed around the place as the bystanders were drinking hard liquor and at the same time they were sensually dancing.

I was walking behind my family and I could hear the whistle from a group of men. I walked faster so I could catch up with them. The place was making me uncomfortable.

We entered a narrow pathway and at then of it was a two-storey house. My father went in first and talked to someone. I guess that’s his brother.

My sister and I were still near the doorway and I saw a group of boys around my age. They have this aura of a ‘rich kid’. As I was looking at them, I saw a familiar face. I felt like the world stopped. For a moment, I can’t hear anything. For a moment, it was just like me and him. For a moment, I felt like I died. Cause of death, hyperventilation. ‘Oh my gosh, was that Sean? The man of my dream? Oh, Cara! Get a hold of yourself!’.

Sean and I studied in  the same university. He’s a Chemical Engineering student while I’m a Nursing student. I got a crush on him since first year college. I immediately averted my gaze as he caught me looking at him. I felt my face heated from that awkward moment.

Our father called us and as fast as a lightning, I went inside and gave courtesy to my uncle. My father introduced us one by one.

“This is Cara, my younger daughter. She’s in her 3rd year of college now.” My father said to my uncle referring to me.

“She looks exactly like your wife, Fred.” Uncle Teddy sais with a light chuckle in his voice.

“Yeah, she’s a carbon copy of my late wife.” Father answered with a faint of  smile on his lips.

“Come here, come here. Let’s get you something to eat.” Uncle Teddy accompanied us to the dining area and as soon as I saw the food on the table, my mouth begin to water. Ah! I can hear the growl of my stomach. We settled ourselves and started eating.

We were left at the table because Uncle Teddy had something important to attend to. I was about to finish the last piece of my chicken when the boys from the outside came into the dining area.

I almost fell on my seat when I saw Sean staring directly at me with a smirk on his face. He went to my side. I adjusted my seat and thinking if I should go now or continue my last piece of chicken.

“It’s okay. I’ll just get this.” He said and smiled showing his perfect set of white teeth . Maybe he saw that I was about to leave. He get the buttered shrimp and went across my seat where his friends were seated.

My sister and my father were already finished earing. I was left with the boys. I feel nervous for some reason. First,  I’m the only girl in here. Second, Sean was looking at me like. Third, I heard them silently laughing and I don’t know the reason why. Are they laughing about me?! I need to get out in here!

I stood up and went to the sink. I washed my hand and dried them after. I followed my family in the living area and saw my father talking to some people. Maybe that’s his other relatives. My sister was outside talking to her phone.

I sat at the single sofa. I busied myself with my phone. As I was scrolling on my facebook’s newsfeed, I felt someone dragged a monoblock chair beside me. I glanced and froze a bit. It’s him! Gather yourself, Cara. He did not do anything.  So what is wrong with you! I inhaled deeply and slowly. This is giving me heart attack.

“Hi, I’m Sean.” Is he talking to me!? I turned my head on his side and I saw his hand held out for me. I was hesitant to reach out at first but it’s rude if I just leave it hanging, so in the end I accepted it.

“Hi, U-uhm I-I’m Cara.” Your future wife. I want to add that but nah, he’ll think that I’m psycho. Haha!

“These are my friends and my classmates.” He said and started giving me their names.

Sean was very talkative and very funny. He’s also smart. I really did a great job about making him my crush and the father of our future offspring. I deserve a tap on my shoulder right now.

We were laughing with his friends when Uncle Teddy showed up.

“Oh, Fred. Seems like my son and your daughter are getting along well.” Uncle Teddy said to my father as he touched Sean’s shoulder.

Wait-what?! Sean is his son? Am I hearing it correctly? No!

“Is he your son? He’s handsome, just like you when we’re still in college.” Father said and gave a heartily laugh.

“Sean, this is Cara. Your cousin. Your Uncle Fred’s daughter.” Said Uncle Teddy.

I looked at Sean and he was confused as well. Uncle Teddy left us  and went to my father as they continue reminiscing their teenage years.
Sean stared at me for a minute.

“Wow, I’ve almost liked my cousin.” He whispered and chuckled.

Is this for real?! My beautiful dream just turned into a nightmare!