chapter 1 // moving to boston

7:24 am

South Boston is a rather interesting place. It's definitely not where I expected to end up during my last year of high school. I always expected to graduate in California and finish out my schooling there. Now that dream is crushed as I have been dragged out to Boston, Massachusetts all because of my dad's stupid job. He's been reassigned to the branch out here in Southie because of his promotion. I think it's pretty stupid that the business executive's headquaters is located in Boston to be honest, but enough of that.

My bedroom was kind of small compared to my old one, that suited me just fine. I never could quite figure out what to do with so much space, but now I don't have to worry about it. The cool thing is that I had my own personal bathroom connected to my room. Now I don't have to worry about my little sister constantly barging in on me. The lock was broken on the bathroom we shared, so I was constantly getting walked in on. I took a good look around my room figuring out where I was going to put the rest of my stuff. After I had an idea, I flopped onto my bed and closed my eyes in hopes that I could catch a few winks before the moving truck arrives.

"Taylor! The moving truck is here!"

Ugh, perfect timing. I groaned and rolled of the bed cursing under my breath. I made my way downstairs to find my sister carrying 5 lava lamps in her frail arms. I giggled at her struggling and caught one before it shattered on the floor.

"Be careful mini-mite." I said, gently placing the lava lamp on the top of her her pile.

She stuck her tongue out at me and continued on her way. I strolled outside and felt the cool fall breeze poke at my cheeks. I couldn't help but smile. I always loved the fall. Ever since I was little I've made it a tradition to rake up a pile of leaves and jump in my masterpiece. It always made me feel so young and free. To be honest, I think I could get used to Boston. I've always wanted to move here after I graduated college, but not like this. I didn't like that we moved while I was still in high school. I left everything behind during one of the most important times of my life.

Before my mom starts to nag on me I decided to pick up some of my stuff. Luckily all the heavy stuff was already inside. It arrived before we did. I picked up a box and took it up to my room. I went back downstairs and got a some more boxes. Eventually I made it down to my last box in an hours time. Right before I was about to go into the house something caught my attention. I heard a group of people laughing, but one laugh stood out to me the most. I turned towards the sound to see a small group of boys laughing and fooling around. I picked out a curly haired boy who possessed that peculiar laugh. I almost dropped my box when I laid my eyes on him. He was so handsome, I've never seen anyone who was as handsome as him. His curly hair flopped around as he brought his friend into a headlock. His hair was so luscious and curly. He was wearing a black and red windbreaker and scuffed up sneakers. I didn't realize I had stopped breathing until he disappeared around the block.

"Hey! Come to earth Taylor!"

My sister Izzy was frantically waving her hand in my face trying to get my attention. I blinked a few times and began to smirk.

"Taylor, what were you looking at?"

"Nothing, just taking in the smell of the fresh cut grass."

"Mmm, sure. Well Mom said to come in, it's starting to get dark." She said rolling her eyes and walked into the house.

I took one last glance at the corner him and his friends disappeared at and walked inside.

***

My mom put a plate of green beans, mashed potatoes, salad, and fish on the table in front of me. I rolled my eyes. She knows I hate when she makes my plate for me. I mean, I'm 17. I'm definitely old enough to make my own plate. I'm pretty sure she's trying to piss me off so I'll talk to her. I haven't said two words to her since we left from the airport. I'm still pretty angry with the both of my parents because of this whole moving situation. My mom spoke snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Taylor it's your turn to say grace."

After saying grace, we dug into our meal. My dad managed to get a few words out me, but I made sure I kept it short. It wasn't going to be that easy. After I washed the dishes I took a long shower and put on my pajamas. I sat on my bed with my legs crisscrossed, debating whether I was going to finish unpacking now or in the morning. Before I could even make a decision my dad knocked on my door.

"Come in."

"Hey. I need to talk to you."

"Alright." I avoided eye contact.

"Look Taylor, I know you're angry with your mom and I. You have to understand that I'm not trying to do this on purpose. I didn't want to do this you know."

"Well you did dad. If you really wanted to prevent this from happening you would have found a way."

"God Taylor. You don't think I tried? You're too young to understand. This job is how I'm providing for you guys. I'm not going to do anything that will end my career. I need this job and you know that."

"Do you know what it's like to leave everything behind? All my friends are in California! All I've ever known is in Los Angeles dad! We live on the opposite side of the country from our family! It's my last year of high school and you just had to move us away for your precious little job!"

"I have friends in California too Taylor. I miss everyone too . Don't think this isn't hard for me either. Me and your mother both. I get how you feel okay. I really do. You're going to be faced with challenges like this all throughout your life so get used to it. This will only make you more prepared for the road blocks you'll face later on. I promise you'll be thanking me one day. I mean think how your sister feels. Don't be selfish, yoiu're not the only one who's sad about all this. Taylor, just know in your heart that I am sorry honey."

I clenched my teeth and swallowed hard as he walked out the room. I knew he was right. I knew that one day I would be thanking him for this. After sitting there for a while, I decided to go to bed and finish unpacking in the morning. I crawled into bed and turned off my table lamp. Before I drifted into a deep sleep, I thought about the boy I saw earlier today and smiled to myself. I really hope that maybe I'll get to see him again.

{hey guys! this is my first book on here so please feel free to give me feedback. tell me what you think so far, all comments will be appreciated. thanks :) p.s. i recommed watching good will hunting, its good movie and one of my favorites. also you'll get an idea of who morgan o'mally is}