Chapter 1

In Harm's Way

Chapter 1

"That'll be $5.59."

Jess handed the guy at the food truck six dollars, and he passed her a double cheeseburger wrapped in greasy foil paper. The guy handed back her change, and Jess pocketed it before stepping out of the line, letting the person behind her order their food.

Half past three in the morning likely wasn't the best time to be grabbing dinner, but time hardly seemed to matter in NYC, which was dubbed 'the city that never sleeps' for a reason. Clubs, bars, restaurants, and food trucks were all open and jumping at this late hour, populated entirely by groups of young people who were hot enough to get away with acting wild. Jess simply walked alone down the sidewalk, clutching her burger in her hand as she deftly moved through the crowds of rowdy party-goes and drunk college kids leaving the large neon-lit club nearby playing loud techno music.

Jess unwrapped the top half of her burger and took a large bite; she hadn't eaten anything all day, and the delicious smell was making her stomach rumble. Burgers had protein and carbs, which were what she needed after a long day on her feet. Most nights Jess would scarf down about half a burger or burrito on her walk home and then save the rest for tomorrow. If she had time before she had to go to her second job at the bakery in the morning she'd eat the rest of it for breakfast.

Jess walked past the club when a group of drunk girls almost stumbled into her heading for their Uber.

"Um, excuse me," a brunette with waist-length hair extensions and too much makeup quickly stepped away from Jess, her lip curled in disgust as she looked at the greasy burger in her hand.

"Excuse you," Jess said, unbothered, stepping past her and continuing on her way.

Jess often came across this type of scene so late at night, but she never was one to party, mostly because all her time and energy was consumed with her jobs. She felt thankful she had changed out of her sweaty work uniform and into her favorite jeans and leather jacket, and wasn't in one of the thigh-exposing bandage dresses those college girls were currently shivering in.

Like I'd ever be caught dead in one of those dresses.

Jess's walk home from work usually took about twenty-eight minutes, and while it could be a bit of a slog in bad weather, it was still faster than taking the L Train. And the luxury of taking a taxi or Uber from work Jess couldn't afford on her meager budget.

She finally turned down a quiet side street, and headed down the pathway leading to her apartment building, shivering as a cold wind blew. The stacked multiplex buildings on the outskirts of the Meatpacking District weren't ideal, but with affordable housing being a pipe dream in this city, this was the best she could find that was still reasonably close to her jobs.

Jess unlocked the front door before entering her studio apartment, the door hinges creaking loudly. She looked around the empty street for anyone strange hanging out nearby before closing and locking the door behind her. Off in the distance, she could still hear the pulsing techno music of the club several blocks away.

Jess kicked off her boots and wrapped up her half-eaten burger in the foil, walking toward her kitchenette to open the fridge.

Empty, as usual. She tried not to think about it too much as she stuck her food inside and shut the door with a snap.

Jess then slipped off her bag and leather jacket to reveal her gray t-shirt underneath, and immediately regretted it as the cold air of her apartment bit at her exposed arms. The heating in this building worked intermittently, but Jess knew better than to complain to the super, who she knew had a notorious temper. She really couldn't afford to be kicked out of this place.