Sometimes It's Hard To Be A Dad

SOMETIMES IT'S HARD TO BE A DAD

SUMMARY: (Modern AU) Zephyr gets into a fight in school against some bullies picking on her brother. Hiccup is called to the Principal's Office and finds out it's sometimes very hard being a Dad.

Disclaimer: I don't own How To Train Your Dragon. Rights remain with Cressida Cowell and and Dreamworks.

A/N: Based on a prompt by Vala 411

-o0o-

Hiccup Haddock, lead engineer with Berk Civil Engineering was twirling his pencil in a very boring planning meeting when his phone rang. He jumped: no one really rang him, for Astrid, his wife, always texted him with instructions so he had her orders clearly written down so he couldn't mistake them. It wasn't that Hiccup was absent-minded but he was busy and tended to be single-minded and obsessed when he was working on a complex project so he could find other concerns slipping from his brain unless his fierce wife reminded him.

The icon though proclaimed the caller was 'SCHOOL' so he nodded an apology and took the call, rising from the table to walk just outside the door.

"Hello, this is Hiccup Haddock," he said, a thrill of anxiety running up his spine.

"Ah, good," said the gruff voice of Principal Throk. "Mr Haddock, there has been an incident with your daughter...well, your children. Both are waiting in the office. I require your presence straight away."

"Are they okay?" he asked worriedly.

"I require you to come soon," Throk said and hung up. Anxiety hammering in his chest, he scooted into the room and gathered up his papers. He looked up apologetically at the subcommittee chair.

"Sorry-emergency at school," he said quickly, stuffing his papers and computer into his bag. "I gotta go. Sorry..." The others scowled at him and he knew his supervisor would mention it in his annual review but there was nothing more important than his children. Being fair, he and Astrid shared the parenting responsibilities but it was his turn so he had to go in. Dragging his coat on and throwing his messenger bag across his body, he trotted down to his car, jumping in and firing a quick text off to Astrid to let her know what was happening. Then he headed off towards the school.

The northern and steep town of Berk wasn't big and Hiccup was the son of the Mayor, the legendary Stoick Haddock, a huge bear of a man with flaming hair and a massive braided beard that covered most of his chest. Stoick was a forceful, powerful personality who was admired and loved by his people and many had expected his son to follow him into local politics-but Hiccup was an engineer, a young man who built and created. Hiccup was tall and lean with tousled auburn hair and bright green eyes, that dominated his pale, sharp-jawed face. Doting on his fierce wife Astrid and his two children, Zephyr and Nuffink, Hiccup would never consider a job that would take his time away from them. Engineering was his first love, not politics.

He swung round the Engineering offices up on Raven Point and headed down to the main town and towards Muttonhead Academy. He groaned, recalling when a public vote had been put out for suggestions to rename Berk Elementary School. There had been some sensible suggestions-Berk Academy, Odin Elementary-and some less sensible such as Raider Central and Muttonhead Academy. Sadly, the muttonheaded majority of Berk had voted to land their young people with being educated in a Muttonhead Academy.

He pulled into the car park opposite the front door and made his way to the Principal's Office which he had visited several times before. Zephyr was ten and her brother Nuffink was eight, both loved and wanted but also prone to trouble. He smiled. Astrid-a beautiful blonde who was a Valkyrie personified-had taught both her children self defence as well as determination not to take any nonsense. Zephyr was a more thoughtful and determined young woman while Nuffink was more brash and athletic-but both were smart and brave and devoted to each other.