fourty six

+

+

"Say... what if you wore something nice today to the party? Since it's Katsu's birthday and all." Ryuu batted his eyelashes, trying to give me his most promising look so he could get his way. He tied up the bright red balloon he'd just blown air into around his pointer finger.

I made a face. "...like what?"

"Oh! Oh!" Ayumi bounded into the room and over to me at the mention of 'dressing nice', black table cloths in her hands. She grinned brightly and tugged at the hem of my shirt to get my attention. When I looked down at her, her smile only seemed to double in size. "What if you wore a dress! I've never seen you in a dress before, Kohana-nee."

"There's a reason for that." I remarked, grabbing ahold of the birthday banner and the pins to hang it up. Walking over to the archway beside the kitchen, the hall leading down to the bathrooms and bedrooms, I stood on my toes and pinned one side of the banner to the wall.

"What's that?" Ayumi asked with genuine curiosity.

I paused, before peering at the little girl over my shoulder, hands still holding up the banner. She batted her thick eyelashes at me, dark eyes filled with nothing but honest expectancy.

"Because I feel weird in anything remotely feminine." I said plainly, turning back to the birthday banner after shifting over to the other side. Pushing the pin through the thin cardboard and into the wall, I took a step back and gave it a once over, before deciding it was good enough.

"Aw, Kohana!" Ryuu threw the same balloon he'd been tying up three minutes earlier to the side. Not wasting any time, he ran over and tackled me in a bear hug. I grunted, making a face as he squeezed the ever living life out of me. Thought my eyeballs were gonna pop out of my skull or something.

He pulled away and gave me a pitiful look, but I only continued to stare, unimpressed.

"You're so pretty! I don't know why you say that stuff sometimes." Ryuu pushed his bottom lip out into a pout. "Even if you don't wanna wear a dress, I think you'd look great in one. You only feel a little awkward in em' because it's not something you wear often. I feel that way when I wear nice clothes too. Especially when Oba-chan makes me wear button ups. I hate it."

Ayumi giggled, giving her older brother a knowing look. "You really, really do, nii-chan."

"What's this talk about what your older brother hates?" Asked Masumi, walking into the room with the cake she'd just picked up, encased in a thin cardboard box. She set it on the counter, pushing it off to the side where it would stay out of reach. Especially from prodding fingers such as Ryuu, who was probably dying to take a swipe at the frosting.