Nantucket Arrival

NANTUCKET - MAY 12TH, 1768

I ran straight downhill as fast as my long legs would carry me. The treacherous rain-slicked, cobblestone streets, littered with numerous steaming piles of horse droppings, didn't slow my frantic pace a bit. I had a good reason for my terror; I was running for my life.

Because of an unfortunate misunderstanding, I was being chased down the hill by an extremely agitated man. Unfortunately, my assailant was rapidly gaining ground. My pursuer was also carrying a deadly whaler's harpoon. Bile rose in my throat as I imagined the searing agony if my pursuer chose to hurl the weapon, and it landed deep between my shoulder blades. I knew I had to find a place to hide—now.

Although the rain limited my visibility, I saw a long line of darkened ships tied in a row along the ancient wooden jetty. There was no sign of any crew on the deserted dock. I assumed they were all at the inn for their evening meal. I picked the third ship in the line at random and quietly climbed the gangplank to the main deck. A wooden staircase led me below decks through an open hatchway.

I silently descended down the narrow stairway and found a large open storeroom containing numerous sets of canvas sails. I burrowed deep beneath a pile of the sails and tried to control the violent beating of my heart and the sounds of my frantic breathing.

As I lay there under a pile of the damp canvas, a thought crossed my mind. I have made a grave mistake. I should not have run away. I should have stayed with Betsy and explained that my pursuer was mistaken.