Bourbon and Smoke

You’d think after nearly four-hundred years I’d have my life figured out; a few houses stashed around the world, some nice cars, and maybe even the randum leather massage chair. What you wouldn’t expect is a three-hundred-and-seventy year old vampire to be working as a bartender in the seedier side of Chicago, trying to make ends meet and depending on tips. But then again, with this location, you don’t come across many giving patrons.

“What can I get ya?”

“Bourbon,” grumbles the man in the tiered leather jacket and patchy two day stubble. I can feel his grief and anger pouring off him like a personal assault. A quick look at this man and I can tell he’s about to go off the deepend―nasty divorce. Judging by the size of this man and the cement dust coating his hair and clothing, he's a construction worker. The strong aroma of stale beer rolling off him confirms this is not his first drink of the day and likely the reason for the divorce.

When you’ve lived as long as I have you start picking up details and the ability to compartmentalize people becomes easy and second nature, not to mention necessary for survival.

It’s a busy Saturday night with a chill in the late autumn air. We’re not known as the Windy City for nothing and tonight there is no disappointment, I think as a large gust of the freezing wind accompanies the small crowd of men entering through the bar’s tattered and aged door.