Electric Pulse

━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━

                    Seoul, South Korea, circa 1967. A pregnant woman is struck by lightning and quickly escorted to the hospital, fighting for her life against the electricity that turned her blood to fizzling streams. She arrives at the nearest hospital dead, forced into labor, and from her cadaver, doctor's pulled out Soojin Kim. Miraculously, the lightning that killed their mother and nearly took their life left them relatively unscathed, with only nerve damage on specific parts of their body. Without a father to claim the child, Soojin's older brother was forced to take care of his younger sibling.

                    At the mere age of six, Soojin burns down a mall on accident. The firefighters presumed that the cause of the fire was from faulty electricity that sparked at random and set fire to the clothing and furniture. At the age of seven, Soojin enters a traveling circus with their older brother, under the name Jeongi, the child that could burn out a light bulb with a single wave of their hand and withstand electric shocks that would kill any normal person. Soojin and their brother made money from the performances in front of hungry crowds, but their dream lay elsewhere.

                    Soojin Kim arrives on the continent of North America in 1979 with their older brother and three American dollars in their pocket. Fresh out of English language courses and thrust into a world completely different from the one they experienced in South Korea, Soojin is met with the most challenging trials of their life: fit into a homogenous society while being a person of color, feeling like they were born into the wrong body, and having the unexplainable ability to manipulate electricity.

                    It didn't help that Soojin moved to Hawkins, Indiana, one of the most backwater and closed-minded towns in the United States. Being mocked for their accent, their clothes, and their appearance was enough to drive anybody mad. But, things were definitely going to take a turn for the worst when they meet a girl who had eery supernatural powers that could rival Soojin's. Maybe Soojin could join the circus again to avoid having to defeat an otherworldly entity with a bloodlust for humans?

━━━━━━━

Soojin Kim
electrokinesis: the psychic ability that allows the mind to generate and manipulate nearby atoms using energy waves and electrical currents.

Soojin Kimelectrokinesis: the psychic ability that allows the mind to generate and manipulate nearby atoms using energy waves and electrical currents

Yoon-Ji Kim
atelophobia: the fear of imperfection. the fear of never being good enough

Jess Washingtonoriflamme: a symbol of standard that inspires confidence, devotion, or courage

Jess Washington
oriflamme: a symbol of standard that inspires confidence, devotion, or courage.

Jess Washingtonoriflamme: a symbol of standard that inspires confidence, devotion, or courage

━━━━━━━

POTENTIAL TRIGGERS
gender dysphoria, transphobia, homophobia, racism, abuse, police brutality, character deaths, teen angst, suicidal thoughts, foul language, underage drinking/drug use, and homicide.

NOTE
i didn't come into this fic thinking about face claims so y'all can just look at the moodboards and imagine the characters yourselves. also, soojin is genderfluid so in some chapters i'll use they/them, in others i'll use she/her, and in others i'll use he/him. you can call them whatever you want in the comments as long as you're respectful!

another thing: there's gonna be a lot more diversity than what we got in the show. i'm gonna show more pop culture of the 80s. the character jess washington is an alternative black woman in the 80s and she kicks bigoted ass!! yoon-ji kim is a gay immigrant who succeeds at his job bc fuck corporations!! soojin kim is a civil rights activist and unapologetically beats up racists!! i hope you guys like the little flavor i added bc, ya know, trans/gay/poc rights (:

also, i'm so glad that i'm finally writing a korean oc. i'm gonna send it to my gma so that she can read it since she was born in seoul in the 40s and i think it'll be nostalgic for her? idk man. anyway let's get into DIS