New Beginnings, Part 1

Barry was home alone, munching on his favorite duck food (see above photo). Bored, he decided to look through his contacts. At the top of the page, he saw Amanda. Seeing as he didn't know anyone named Amanda, he deleted it. After that, he saw Awesome Guy. He didn't know who that was, but he was probably awesome, so he moved on. After that, he saw Brogle. He didn't realize it at first, but that was his late BFF, Brogle Bird the Wise.

   It was two years ago. The Incident. Brogle Bird and Barry were camping together. Their owners, Mali and Hank, had made them a tent. They closed the door, and went off to do other things. This left the pair alone... And unwatched.
   Brogle Bird and Barry had been BFF's for as long as they could remember. Brogle Bird, however, had always been superior, being the wiser one. He even got a hat. Without the hat, the two were indistinguishable.
   Barry had always admired Brogle Bird for a lot of reasons. His wisdom, his strength, his looks...
   Brogle Bird never suspected anything, and Barry was thankful. His life would be ruined if Brogle Bird was seperated from Barry. But that would never happen. Hopefully.
   "Barry? Barry!" It was Brogle Bird. Barry snapped back to reality, and found his best friend incredibly close to his face.
   "Oh, uh... S-sorry, Brogle, I -"
   "Don't say anything. Please." That was concerning. Brogle Bird never said things  like that. He always listens to what Barry had to say, even encouraging him to speak.
   "Brogle, what's wrong?" Silence. "C'mon, Brogle, you know you can tell me anything. What's wrong?" More silence. "Brogle, I know something's wrong. You could just tell me."
   "I'm wrong." What? What does he mean? Since when was he ever wrong?
   "Barry, there's... There's something I've been meaning to tell you."
   "What is it, Brogle?"
   "I... I'm in love..."
   "With who?"
   "With you."
   Brogle Bird loved him back!? This was unbelievable. Barry could feel the blood rush to his face, but he didn't care.
   "Brogle, I..."
   "I know. You hate me. It could never happen."
   "That's not was I was going to say."
   "Then what were you going to say?"
   "I love you too."
   Brogle Bird started to blush, almost as intensely as Barry. He started to look angry, but he was really just determined. Barry was about to speak, when...
   Brogle Bird brought his bill to Barry's, into the closest a duck can get to a kiss. Barry was surprised, but happy. Everything was ok now. Everything was good.
   Unfortunately, all good things come to an end. Their owners opened the tent, and found them in their vulnerable state. Confused, they seperated them, with plenty of resistance.
   The tears poured down Barry's face. They had been seperated. Everything was over. His life was over.
   He took out the pistol that he kept in his feathers, and stared at it sadly. This is it, he thought. This is the end.
   He cocked the gun, and held it up to his head. After that, everything happened in a flash, but it went something like this:
   Brogle Bird came through the barrier the owners had made, surprising Barry. Jumping in fright, Barry lowered the gun.  And fired it. The blast knocked Brogle Bird back, and Barry fell to his knees. What had he done?

As the memory came to an end, Barry felt his phone buzz. It was a call. From Brogle Bird's number.