The First Full Moon [Deleted Scene]

All right. It had been confirmed. Alpha Alexander was most definitely avoiding me.

For the past twenty-four hours, every time I entered a room, he was either leaving it or had just left. My body hummed whenever I neared him, vibrating stronger with each step I took closer to his location, but as I walked into the living room, kitchen, office, he was suddenly called away. I woke up this morning with every intention of cornering him and asking what the hell was his problem, but the bed was empty, the pillow still warm and slightly indented, like he had woken up just moments before I did and stalked out of the room as fast as possible to keep from interacting with me.

He was avoiding me like the plague and even though I tried, I couldn't lie to myself—it was starting to hurt my feelings. No, scratch that—it was hurting my feelings. It bothered me so much, I was distracted all day during training with Sarah, who knocked me down so many times without even trying that she made me do three times the amount of sprints to get me out of my own head, but it didn't help anything. My mind was stuck in a vicious loop of toxic thoughts.

What's he doing right now?

Why is he avoiding me?

Is it because of Ava?

My body tensed at the last thought, my hand gripped the reusable water bottle Sarah handed me. The hard recycled plastic dented slightly, snapping me out of my obsessive train of thought and back into reality, which was on a training field with a female warrior who watched me warily. I quickly excused myself to go to the bathroom, running into Jason on my way into the house. He grinned and tried to start a goofy conversation.

After two minutes of mumbled replies, he finally broke. "All right, what the hell is going on?"

I blinked at him, unsure whether or not I should be honest.

He rolled his eyes at me. "Something's up. Tell me what's wrong."

I sighed. "Alpha Alexander has been avoiding me and I starting to think it's because of Ava."

Jason frowned, opened his mouth, but closed it to think before he spoke. Suddenly, he started laughing. "Oh no, he didn't tell you."

My stomach dropped. My eyes stung, but I blinked back the threat of tears. "W-What? Tell me what?"

Jason pulled me out of the house, not quite out of earshot of other people who lingered into the living room, watching late afternoon TV, but he wanted to give me the allusion of privacy, which I appreciated.

"Do you know what tonight is?"

I frowned, shaking my head.

"It's the full moon."

"What does that have to do with anything?" I snapped, anger boiling inside of me. "What, does he meet up with her on full moons or something? Is this just a known affair or something?"

"No, no, no, listen." Jason is still chuckling. "He's not with Ava. He's not having an affair of any kind, trust me. He would kill himself before hurting you like that."

My stomach lifted only slightly, but my veins still throbbed with fear at what Jason was going to say next.

"Tonight is the full moon, right? What is the most stereotypical thing about werewolves, Phoebe?"

It clicked. "They shift on a full moon."

He gave me a finger gun that I'd make fun of him for at a more appropriate time. "Bingo. During a full moon, we shift and hunt as a pack."