an ending so desired

A loud crash of the Immaculate One coming into contact with the ground rung throughout the town, followed by silence.
The Black Eagle Strike Force stood behind you and Edelgard, waiting for what the two of you would decide to do next.
Edelgard breathes heavily, keeping her eyes on the fallen body of Rhea. Blood stained her clothes and a half-broken Aymr, which she kept tightly clenched in her hand.

You turned to the emperor, taking wobbly steps towards her. You walked with a limp, barely managing to stand on the leg that had almost been crushed by one of Rhea's many brutal attacks.
After taking a stance in front of Edelgard, you took both of her hands gently in yours.

"I've learned so much from you, Edelgard..."

Edelgard paused. This was the first time you'd addressed her by her name, rather than 'Your Majesty.'
Her eyes met yours, and for the first time since the two of you had met, you kept a steady gaze locked onto hers.

"Please continue to teach me new things!" You barely managed to chirp out. You coughed out a bit of blood, yet still managed to speak in a cheerful tone.

Edelgard let out a breath she wasn't aware she'd been holding. Lovingly staring at your features, as well as your bloodied, bruised, and scratched up body, she could only wonder how you managed to look so stunning even in such a horrible condition.
Before she could say anything in response, you collapsed.
Edelgard caught you mid-fall, her hands becoming soaked from the blood on you. Whether it was your own blood, or the blood of the scores and scores of enemies you'd killed was beyond her.

Not only were you incredibly beautiful, you had somehow managed to best her on the battlefield. Though she hated to admit it, you were the only one to outmatch her own seemingly unbeatable skills.

"(Y/N), I love you," Edelgard whispered into your ear as the other Black Eagles began to crowd around the two of you. "I know you can't hear me right now, but you mean the world to me..."

You were her comrade, her dearest friend, her beloved, and more.

She stood up after gently placing you down, her eyes still on your unconscious form.
As Linhardt kneeled by you and began casting a healing spell, Edelgard could only lock her gaze onto you, hoping that you'd wake up soon so that you could take in the moment of victory with her. Though the town around them still burned, and the Immaculate One still lay there, a brighter future was yet to come—one that you and Edelgard would share together.

With the death of the archbishop, as well as the false goddess, the world that Edelgard had spent nights telling you about as she held you tightly—and ending that you both dreamed of, could finally come to fruition.

Though reserved as you were, you attracted so much attention. Whether it be your skills in battle, or your kind personality that accompanied your soft words, Edelgard saw you as perfect in every way. People saw you as competition to her, yet she knew she couldn't surpass you. You reached for the stars, she was stuck on the ground. A goal to reach, that somehow kept getting farther and farther away, was what she saw in you.
Envy became admiration, accompanied by curiosity. When she'd finally gone for it, and insisted on spending time with you, she hardly thought it'd end up like this.

Edelgard and (Y/N), side by side, defeating the Immaculate One, and the Church of Seiros as a whole.

Edelgard, when the thought of (Y/N) fills her mind, is overcome with emotions—happiness, gratitude, love...
And, of course, envy.
After all, some things never change.
And now, here the two were, together at the goddess tower.

"Ever since the day we'd first met—the day I'd first seen you battle, and the day we'd first became companions—I've been... intrigued by you, to say the least," Edelgard spoke.

To bind yourself to another through marriage, was something the emperor had never cared for. What use were traditions and ceremonies? If you were to spend your life with another, must the whole world know? But now, something in her was proud. To have you as her own, to have the best partner she could've ever asked for.

"I had almost thought to leave you alone back then, before I'd gotten the chance to know you," she went on. "You have everyone else, why would you need me? But now, I'm sure..."

She got down on one knee.

"Getting involved with you was the best decision of my life."

You held a hand over your mouth in shock.
Every moment you two had spent together—sleepless nights spent together, helping each other with assignments, protecting each other in battle, and holding each other while feeling protected in each other's arms—all of it, had gone into this one moment. Edelgard looks up at you from her position on the ground, and you can see it in her eyes.

"(Y/N), will you marry me?"

You gave your response with tear filled eyes and love laced in your words.

"I'd love to, Edelgard!"

It was almost as if you two were the only ones in the world. Nothing else mattered in this one moment, and as you embraced each other, tears clouding your vision, the warm feeling you both shared in your hearts was almost overwhelming. Edelgard rested her forehead against yours, hoping this moment could go on forever.

There was still much to do, but right now all that mattered to Edelgard was you, and your future together was still yet to come. There were so many things to look forward to. Edelgard couldn't wait to have someone to rule by her side, to see how you'd look at your wedding, or to be able to tell someone she loves them. So much was yet to come, and Edelgard would be by your side through it all.

This was the start of the rest of your lives together. Your happy ending, the ending you both desired so.