extended summary

Being the Capitol's Sweatheart, Glade Marlowe was always aware of her appearance and how she acted. President Snow wanted her to act like the innocent girl she was before the 68th Hunger Games, and that meant meant acting childlike and dressing in pastels with tulle involved somehow. Even when she was at home in her district, she had to keep the act up when she left the confines of her home.

Snow projected this false innocence on her as she was Mag Flannagan's granddaughter. Glade knew the consequences of the Hunger Games on a person since she was a child. They were never games or a reminder to the past rebellion--they were punishments: a death sentence. She never had a drop of innocence of the world in her as the horrors that awaited her once she came of age was revealed to her so young. He used this façade to keep her in line.

Glade Marlowe was to only speak when spoken to, smile, laugh at every joke, and act like killing people in the Games hadn't changed her. Only a handful of people knew the true Glade Marlowe. The woman who, despite everything, had a playful side to her though she kept it hidden and cared about the people around her deeply.

When the 75th Hunger Games come around, Glade Marlowe is devastated by the news she would go back. She spent the last seven years healing and coming to terms with the things that haunted her past, only to have the rug pulled out from under her. Being the only Victor physically and mentally capable of competing, she volunteers as a tribute.

However, this time she will have Finnick Odair fighting alongside her. And, in the midst of the chaos of the Quarter Quell, come to accept that they aren't meant to be just friends.

 And, in the midst of the chaos of the Quarter Quell, come to accept that they aren't meant to be just friends