The Real Mindtrap

I do not own Tangled the Series or the characters. Thank you for reading. Please enjoy and feel free to leave a comment, ask a question, or create art. This was a lot of work and far more strenuous than I anticipated, but I think the finished product was well worth it. 

~SophieRose

________________________________________________________________________________

The Real MindTrap

Varian gasped upon hearing the shouts of panic coming from the opposite side of the vast throne room. I wasn't even gone that long! He thought, as frustration ticked like a clock inside his brain. "I'll be right back!" He hurriedly, yet gently, said to his father, who was lying peacefully still. After Varian's stunning mechanism had overcharged Quirin's mind into unconsciousness, the young alchemist had situated his father comfortably in the corner of the throne room. I should have known something like this would happen! It was so foolish for me to leave that machine unsupervised. Varian bit his lip in fear as he sprinted towards the chaotic screams. I bet it was Lance; he never listens to my warnings! He knew he was an over-the-top organizing freak, but he had better reason then most to be an insufferable "safety first" individual. He had had "accidents" in the past with unforgettable consequences. Even though he had moved on and the world seemed to forgive him, he still suffered from chilling nightmares and random panic attacks. Most of these he managed to keep hidden from his friends, but they still lingered in the back of his mind. He could see it in his shadow, like a ghost haunting him.

Still, he couldn't afford a mistake right now!

Zhan Tiri wasn't going to mess up, so he couldn't either. He couldn't let anyone down. Not again.

By the time Varian's short legs had reached the opposite side of the throne room, the bright colors had vanished inside the portal to Limbo. "Lance?" The alchemist breathlessly asked for his friend who was no where in sight. Suddenly, a deep weight slammed down inside his chest as dread threatened to crush him to the floor. "No, no, no, no." He chanted softly to himself hoping that his voice would keep him grounded in reality. "This isn't happening!" Reaching the machine, Varian actively scaned the massive portal desperately searching for an explanation.

That's when he saw it.

The lever. It had been moved. Subconsciously, the young alchemist swallowed a nervous gulp of air. Gone, they're all gone. I can't mess this up. No! I won't mess this up. I can get them back. Unfortunately, Varian had been short on time and had only focused on how to get the warlock into the portal, not on how to get anyone out.

Without Ruddiger's presence to steady the alchemist, he felt a deep, hollow pit form in his stomach. Determination prickled his brow as he dropped to his knees. All of Corona was in an alternate dimension, and he was the only person who could fix this. Tightening his fingers around a wrench to the point that his knuckles turned white underneath his gloves, Varian took a controlled breath before getting to work.

He wasn't sure if pulling the lever would get them out in one piece. It was also possible that instead of freeing the people of Corona, he would be sucked in the portal, leaving their situation completely hopeless. He had to figure this out. With his free hand, Varian reached for the Demantis plans.

After studying and comparing his work with the instructions (or rather guidelines) Varian's clever mind put the pieces of the puzzle together. It was possible to reverse the portal. It wouldn't be easy, but he could do it.

Immediately diving into his work, Varian became submerged in his tweaking and tinkering. In other words, he didn't notice the ferocious warrior creeping up behind him. It wasn't until his shadow loomed over the small scientist, that he noticed the man. Whirling around just in time to dodge an outstretched arm, Varian dove out of Hector's reach before scrambling to his feet and clutching the wrench as if it were his lifeline.