Prologue

A big thanks and dedication to fearlessly_me for my cover :D

Prologue:

Lots of people look at life and choose to see all the good things like the pretty flowers or all the happy couples without a care in the world or becoming rich after winning the lottery. They have dreams to live in a big house and have lots of kids to then live happily ever after, but not me. After being on the opposite end of all of this, I tend to look more towards the other end of the spectrum. I pay attention to all the bad things that happen like crimes, divorce, etc. since my life is a living hell sometimes. It didn't always used to be this way.

There once was a daughter, brother, mom and dad. The daughter is me, by the way. We were all happily living together in a big house in Southern California with our dog, Nadie, and a big backyard where we can run around until we passed out from exhaustion. We had butlers and maids because both my parents have high paying jobs and chefs in the kitchen to make us food whenever we wanted. Being a doctor and a lawyer takes time, but my mom was the one to cut her hours to be able to look after my brother and I as little kids. He's a few years older then me and was always looking after me if mom couldn't. Let's just say he's really protective of me because I'm his sister. Anyways, dad worked for most of our money, but he was still able to be home a lot, even as a lawyer. He had an office put in at our home so he worked out of there a lot and called in sick when he just wanted to spend time with his family. As you can see, life is good.

But one night when mom was working a night shift to cover for a sick co-worker, a man and his family stopped by the hospital to visit a relative before they had to leave town. She came home that night looking shocked and confused. I was supposed to be in bed, but I really wanted to be up when she got home so I could tell her the news of how a guy asked me out today.

I saw all of the next events go down. Me, a sixteen year old girl, didn't need to see it, but I did.

There was a quiet knock on the door which mom answered since she's still standing there. I'm up on the second floor by the steps where they can't see me. Notice I said they because a man slips in through the crack when she opened the door. I blink and put my hand to my mouth to cover the startled gasp that almost escaped. The mysterious man had grabbed her face in his hands and kissed her. What hurt me the most is that she didn't push him away.

I didn't want to see any more of this so I fled to my room and accidentally slammed the door, no doubt breaking the two love birds downstairs apart. She tried to reason with me the next day when I refused to talk to her. Dad didn't know why, but I promised to tell him if my mother didn't by the time I got home from school that day. It ended up being me to break the news to him. He didn't cry, but I could visually see that he's crushed at the news. He loves my mom with his whole being and she goes and does this.

I didn't have a problem with accepting that my mom cheated, but I expected my brother to be on my side. He wasn't. He sided with her and the only thing he could do was apologize. From that moment on, I've hated them both. The only people left in my life is my dad and my dog.

They move away back to Montana with the man and soon enough, there are divorce papers in our mailbox. Believe me when I say I fought tooth and nail to stay with my dad. I was always closer with him then my mom anyways.

The house seems bigger, emptier, without the rest of my so called family, but I'll learn to deal with it. When the divorce goes through, I'm go to court to determine custody with dad and tell the judge that I want to stay with him.

If only life is that easy.