Chapter Forty-two

Redstar was wheezing and huffing, as his weak body was thrown against the reeds. Swiftpaw glanced at the deranged leader before her eyes lifted up to her mentor. Her body rippled with chills as a realizations hit her. All this time, how come I never noticed how similar Blizzardtail and Wolfpaw were. She was used to Wolfpaw looking like his mother, but he also looked a lot like his father. 

In similarity, their noses, body structure, and eye-shapes were the same. But because Wolfpaw took after his mother it was hard to decipher that he was also Blizzardtail's son. Because Blizzardtail had to give Wolfpaw away...that's why he saw me as his daughter. He never had time to be a father with the harsh conditions of leaf-bare...

Baydawn rushed to Redstar's aid while the clan stood to observe Blizzardtail and Wolfpaw. Lionstripe, who had remained frozen at her spot, finally took steps towards the black apprentice. "Do you still want to join TideClan?" she asked hesitantly, her amber eyes softening. Wolfpaw nodded his head, "I still do. I feel it would accomplish my mother's wishes."

Lionstripe then turned around and dashed up the Clanrock. Swiftpaw gasped slightly; she had never seen anyone else besides the leader climb up the Clanrock, but what she witnessed now truly showed that Lionstripe was meant to be a leader. The way her amber eyes glowed with confidence, the way her pelt ruffled in the wind... she looked powerful.

"TideClan," she spoke. At once, all of the cats turned their head to their deputy. Swiftpaw could feel her clan radiating with confidence; she only remembered feeling confident with her clan when she was just a little kit. She stood up straight and looked up at the golden tabby. From her peripheral vision, her littermates soon made their way to her side. She felt very powerful.

"Stonepaw has been accepted to join TideClan and will be welcomed as one of us. If there are any obligations, speak now." Lionstripe's voice carried throughout the clearing. All of the murmurings halted and no one spoke. Swiftpaw's tail lashed in astonishment as her eyes caught sight of a submissive Mudstrike. Serves him right. Oh, Mudstrike, you cuss words without thinking, but you're quite scared to oppose those higher than you. 

Lionstripe's eyes scanned TideClan, before she meowed, "Then it is decided. Stonepaw is a fellow apprentice in TideClan training under Blizzardtail. Now, do you wish to change your name?" Her amber eyes were set on Wolfpaw. The black apprentice lifted his head, "I ask that my name be changed to Wolfpaw."

Such confidence. He will always surprise me, Swiftpaw thought tenderly.

"From this day forward, until you have earned your warrior name, you shall be known as Wolfpaw. May StarClan guide you in your training," the deputy dipped her head before she leaped down from the rock, dismissing the clan. Immediately, the clan began to function normally but Blizzardtail turned to his son to talk privately.

Maplepaw pressed his flank against his older sister. "Swiftpaw, you look as if you're mooning over him," he meowed in concern. But Swiftpaw chuckled, "Maplepaw, him and I are in love."

"Awww, really?" Webpaw gushed, purring. Swiftpaw felt on fire and she lowered her eyes to her paws. Ripplepaw then teased Webpaw, "And what? You and Carptooth aren't a thing?" That's right. Carptooth and Webpaw are very close, almost like mates. Webpaw shyly averted her blue eyes.

They seem to also accept Wolfpaw. That's a relief. Swiftpaw lifted her head only to stare into Wolfpaw's eyes. He was gesturing her over, accompanied by Blizzardtail and Pricklepelt. She made her way over, her tail-tip flickering.

The white tom meowed, "Swiftpaw, you and I are going to go hunting. Pricklepelt and Wolfpaw will follow behind soon after they gather moss." Pricklepelt and Wolfpaw had already began their way out of camp, both in a light-hearted conversation. He fit in so nicely, Swiftpaw thought happily before she followed Blizzardtail towards the entrance of camp.

They were farther behind than Pricklepelt and Wolfpaw. Swiftpaw knew that there must be a reason until Blizzardtail's mouth moved close to her ear. "Thank you for bringing my son home," his voice was warm but heavy. It seemed that a large load was lifted off of his shoulders.

Swiftpaw turned to her mentor and halted. The two cats stood directly outside of the camp, their paws resting on the flattened grass. Her amber eyes softened before her nose kindly touched his, "You're welcome. How do you feel?"

"Better, now. I'm concerned about you," he said, his tail lashing gently. The look in his blue eyes were affectionate, the same affection that Echoflower had. He thinks of me as his daughter! Swiftpaw rejoiced.

The calico she-cat murmured, "My heart feels much lighter."

"Good. And I'm sure you haven't forgotten the prophecy, either. I hope from this day forward you will focus more on your training," Blizzardtail meowed seriously. Swiftpaw gasped lightly as Baydawn's words echoed in her ears.

An illness that is infamously ancient has already touched a willing victim, and it will stretch its claws to consume the four Clans. Only the spill of pitied blood can stop it, and arise! Arise will be the dignified, born of a lame and a corrupt, the peace maker of the sick and the scarred!

This was just the calm before the storm, Swiftpaw noted. But today, she was different than before. No longer was she scared, frightened, silenced, or abused. I'm the dignified. And I shall be the protector of the clans.

____________________

Guys, this stuff is going to get real! Prepare thyselves for even more growth!

-Morgan