forty nine

+

+

"This is so unnecessary." I sighed, leaning my head into my chin as a birthday cake was set down in front of me.

Ryuu grinned, shaking my shoulders. "C'mon, birthday twin! Cheer up a little."

I raised a brow. "Our birthdays are not on the same days. So... that doesn't make sense."

"By three days! That's practically nothing."

The weeks really were rushing by in a blur. It felt as though we'd just celebrated Katsu's birthday—yet here we were blowing out the candles for mine and Ryuu's birthday. We were all fourteen now. Kind of crazy. My birthday was actually a few days ago, but since mine and Ryuu's were so close Masumi wanted to throw a joint birthday party. Ryuu was ecstatic to share one with me, while I couldn't say the words 'I don't need one' enough times to get it through the woman's skull.

Hard to believe it was already November. The 22nd, to be more specific. Mine was November 19th. Guess it was kind of funny each of our team members had a fall birthday.

I sighed as Masumi held the camera up with a large grin, similar to the way she'd been as excited to snap a picture at Katsu's birthday. Only this time, Katsu wasn't any where near me. He was on the other side of Ryuu, the wide eyed boy squished between the two of us this time.

I grimaced as Ryuu threw an arm around my shoulder and grinned at the camera. Katsu let out an unappreciative grunt. But the silver haired boy was totally obviously to our attitude. In fact, he seemed totally oblivious to the fact something was wrong at all. Even though Katsu and I hadn't talked at all today. Let alone the last month.

It was the weirdest month of my life, really. I'd gotten so used to speaking to Katsu now that I didn't hate his presence, I expected to talk to him. I expected to hear his annoying ass voice. Not hearing him was... more unsettling than anything really.

He avoided me at almost every chance. No—he had to be avoiding me at every chance. It was as though he had this weird 'avoid Kohana' radar—and it was working really, really fucking well.

So, I decided to do something a little risky. Maybe it was risky—who knows—but instead of sticking around for a long party like we had for Katsu, we were going out to the fall festival that occurred every year during our birthdays. We were planning to meet up with Karui and Omoi anyway. So... I decided to invite some... ahem.. friends of my own too.

"I didn't even know you had other friends, Kohana!" Ryuu sighed, patting his stomach as we strolled down the street toward the civilian district where the festival was held.