One - Falling Down the Rabbit Hole

"Holy shit. Tell me that ridiculously shiny limo outside is not for us," I gasp, turning from the window with a wide-eyed stare.

My roommate flushes and looks away, swallowing a large mouthful of pink champagne.

"My god, Caroline. Don't you think this is all a little over the top?" The curtain drops back into place once I release it from my grip.

Caroline shrugs a shoulder, her blonde curls bouncing from the movement.

"Oh relax, Remy. Anyone else would consider this all a dream come true. I mean, how many college girls can say they've received an invitation to a secret, underground party? Or had couture gowns hand delivered to their door by an expert stylist?"

She looks incredible, like a sleek, contemporary Marilyn Monroe in her white silk halter neck gown. The dramatic makeup the artist applied to her alabaster skin only enhances her elegance, and I can't help but wonder if I measure up.

The ribbon-wrapped dress box that was delivered for me included a black and silver floor length gown with a criss cross back and a slit so high you could see my g-string. The stylist who spent the afternoon with us arranged my dark hair differently than I usually wear it—curled and piled on top of my head—and painted on more makeup than I've ever used in my life.

I feel ridiculous, especially since the cut of both our gowns make them look more like high-end lingerie than formalwear.

"I guess it is kind of exciting..."

"It sure is." She hands me a glass of champagne and offers me her best smile. "So have a drink, loosen up and let yourself have a little fun."

"But how can I loosen up when I don't even know who sent the invitation? Like, they could be some psycho murderers and they just want to get us—"

She cuts me off with a look so sharp I worry I may start bleeding all over my thousand dollar gown.

"Remy, stop. My mom's a cop, remember? I'm well aware of the possible dangers. But I asked around, and Club Wonderland is Members Only. It's as exclusive as they come, which means whoever sent the invitation would have been thoroughly vetted. And clearly, they have impeccable taste in women."

She blows me a kiss before clinking my glass with hers. "Now smile and relax. We're about to have the best night of our lives. "

***

"I need to see your invitations, ladies."

The man standing at the door outside the club looks like he's straight out of a bodyguard movie. Sexy and brooding with muscles bigger than my head, he eyes us through his dark sunglasses despite the late hour.

Caroline hands over both glossy black cards that had been delivered by courier just the day before, and bats her eyelashes at him.

She deflates a little when his expression remains unaffected.

"You're good."

She arches a brow at me when he turns to open the double doors for us without any further instructions.

We step inside and the doors close quietly behind us, the only sound the echo of our decadent footwear. The hallway is pitch black with only a few subtle lights overhead in the distance, but we say nothing and move towards them together.

Doubt sits heavy in my chest, and I can tell by the death grip on my hand that even Caroline seems to be rethinking things, but we keep walking.

Suddenly a pair of doors open up ahead of us, bright white light spilling out into the corridor. I don't realize that they are elevator doors until we're right on top of them.