Chapter Forty-three

It has been half a moon ever since Wolfpaw joined TideClan. The cats had adjusted to him quite easily, mostly because everyone was glad that there was another cat to the small TideClan. Blizzardtail was handling two apprentices at once with ease, and Swiftpaw and Wolfpaw grew stronger and more skillful each day. Redstar hasn't been leaving his den for a long time but he would always summon Lionstripe or Lichenface to see him. Swiftpaw was also on good terms with Lichenface and Flaxkit; their feud was no more.

Swiftpaw was resting underneath the shade of a bare oak tree. She laid on the roots comfortably beside Bloompelt and Mistfur. The sun was high but the day was chilly. Snow should be upon us soon, she thought, her chin resting on her paws. She had finished her chores and her training, so she took time to relax.

"Swiftpaw! Look out!" Flaxkit squealed as he uncontrollably slid in the mud her way. He was being chased by Beetlekit, Brinekit, and Poolkit, who were much older than him. Swiftpaw was overcome with worry as she quickly stood up and gently swooped up a muddy Flaxkit with her paw before he crashed into the stiff roots. Bloompelt chuckled, "The mud looks fun to slide around in, huh?"

"Don't encourage their dangerous game play," Mistfur meowed to his sister, "Look at the mess he was about to get himself into. Could've broken a bone."

Swiftpaw gently set down Flaxkit and she glared at Dapplefur's kits."You three understand that this mud is extremely slippery and yet you let Flaxkit play in it," the calico meowed. Beetlekit rolled his eyes, "He went there himself. You act like everything is our fault." Swiftpaw watched as Beetlekit, Brinekit, and Poolkit turned around and left the apprentice.

Flaxkit looked up at Swiftpaw, "Thanks for catching me! I better go back to Lichenface now before I get scolded again..."

Bloompelt stood up and gently nudged the kit, "I'll accompany you. Surely, she wouldn't go crazy once I explain what happened, right?" The two made their way to the nursery. Mistfur let out a small yawn, "Swiftpaw, I have a question for you."

"Yes?" She turned to the young warrior. He stood up and stretched, before he asked, "I hope I'm not prying too much, but how do you feel after being left out of the warrior naming ceremony?"

Swiftpaw lashed her tail and she blinked slowly. Just yesterday, Swiftpaw was spared from receiving her warrior name, an event planned specifically to spite her and Wolfpaw. Although, Acornpaw couldn't receive his name because he failed his warrior assessment.

"Fallownose! Maplefoot! Ripplefrost! Webshine!"

Swiftpaw, Wolfpaw, and Acornpaw were the only remaining apprentices. I'm slightly infuriated, but I'm proud that my siblings were able to become warriors. "It doesn't matter to me," Swiftpaw replied to Mistfur, "I'll be a warrior someday. This shows that I'm not ready yet."

"But he purposefully left you out. I'm sorry he did such a thing," the warrior said before he bid her farewell. He made his way towards the warriors' den. Swiftpaw could see Webshine and Maplefoot padding out of the den, both in a conversation that Swiftpaw couldn't hear. But she tore her eyes away from her siblings. Wolfpaw may be coming back from that hunting patrol soon with Blizzardtail. Maybe I'll go check on Briarkit and her siblings. Soon, Dovefeather's kits would be turning into apprentices.

The calico she-cat stepped off of the roots of the oak tree only for her nose to be touched by a snowflake. Surprised, she stared up to witness thick gray clouds. They covered the sun but the day was less chillier. Snow was finally coming down.

That's when Mudstrike appeared next to her. The brown tabby looked just as surprised as well at the snow. "Leaf-bare is actually arriving this year," he meowed. Swiftpaw nodded, her ears flickering lightly. Recently, Mudstrike has been befriending the calico for some time now. She never thought that he would ever be kind to her. "Maybe he likes you," Briarkit teased Swiftpaw.

I know he doesn't. Though only some cats, including him, know that Wolfpaw and I are in love...

"Let's go hunting together," Mudstrike offered. Swiftpaw's eyes glistened, "Sure!" Hunting will take my mind off of the warrior ceremony for sure. The two cats then trotted out of camp towards a small stream nearby.

Soon they approached a deep enough stream. Sitting at the edge, their shadows barely touching the icy waters, they waited for movement. Swiftpaw narrowed her amber eyes, before her paw struck the waters.

With her claw, she swiped a brown fish unto the bank and with her teeth, she bit  the spine. Mudstrike scoffed, "Please, I already caught two."

"This isn't a competition," she told him before he cut her off with another fish that was flung to his pile. Mudstrike chuckled, before he got serious. "Swiftpaw, I've been meaning to tell you something..."

"Yes?"

"...Acornpaw wanted me to tell you that he really likes you."

"I already know this."

"I know. I told him that you don't like him." He let out a sigh. Swiftpaw saw his ears droop and she felt slightly bad. What am I feeling bad for?

Mudstrike continued, "He does seem a bit sad that you don't return the feelings. It's hard for me being stuck in the middle."

Swiftpaw lowered her head to lap at the stream water. "I know and I'm sorry you have to go through that. Can't he take 'no' for an answer?" she meowed, growing irritated.

"Apparently not, bu--" Swiftpaw sat up straighter and she turned her head towards the other side of the stream. Her ears were perked up as her nose detected the all too distinct smell of damp leaves and a bit of mulberry. Mudstrike detected it as well as he got into a defensive position. Across the stream was tall grass turning brown. It wavered.

Swiftpaw heard Mudstrike mutter, "We'll take it down together, right?"

"Only if you can keep your limbs." She kept her fur flat and she faced her opponent, her claws now extended.

Out from the grass, the first badger Swiftpaw witness has made it's step towards them.

_____________

Fighttttt!

-Morgan