The Miserable Sapphire

The wedding ceremony was full of joy and excitement, at least to most people, not the man who was supposed to be shining like a gemstone. The world's most precious jewel was merely as fragile as his broken heart, shattering into miserable tiny pieces by attending the most important occasion for Seigi and Shoko. He needed some sedatives after witnessing the exchange of rings and kiss of the couple.

Two years later, Richard received a letter from Seigi with a photo of his son.

Ten years later, when he laid on his bed, the lonely Richard curled up; kept sobbing; found no one beside. His only company was the symptoms of depression.

Twenty years later, it was a pretty tough time for him, especially he was still waiting for an impossible person. Perhaps not being able to smile since that day had been an indirect cause for his cancer.

They had not been in contact for years while there were hopes to see his beloved one again . It was horrible right? Why not just call him.? His tenderness could always give Richard unrealistic hopes and warmth.

"Seigi. Perhaps this is that last time I call you ......" Richard finally decided to make him a phone call after struggling a lot in the hospital.

Being able to hear Seigi's voice in the last five minutes of his life was the greatest gift for Richard. The moment was just like the one when they exchanged the ruby ring and sapphire. Richard was wearing the ruby ring. The only shame was they couldn't keep the precious promise made twenty-two years ago, of returning their exchanged gift to each other at the last time they met.

Tears rolling down from a smiling face shined and dropped on the ruby ring. It was peaceful. The jewel would never be sad again; it would keep shining brighter than anything else in the world. Seigi, on the other side, who realized his delayed love for the sparkling sapphire, kept sobbing.

Warmth on lips had just woke Richard up. He found himself crying and frowning in the dream. The part-time boy gently wiped the rolling tears; continued the kissing; hugged his lover tightly.

"Why did you cry in the dream?"

"You married Shoko and left me alone."

"So you don't trust me subconsciously. Yes, I have decided to marry a person. I am gonna marry a decent man called Richard. Do you accept my proposal?"

"Yes, I do." 

END