Changing Chris

Bullets raged through the air, taking down those who surrounded me. I loaded my gun and aimed for the enemy closing in. Suddenly, a sharp spurt of pain raced down my leg, I had been hit. I limped backward and fell into a trench. I caught my breath, thankful that I had a minute to survey the damage that was within my leg. I gasped at the bloody horror of my leg. Three bullets, one too deep to even see were embedded in my leg. I tore a piece of fabric off my uniform and began to wrap my leg, I was too in pain to realize the plane that was flying above my head. When I looked up, it was too late, the bomb was flying towards my head. "God help us!" I gasped in terror. Then everything went black.

                                                                                         1 week later..............

"Chris wake up!" I heard a voice urging me. I slowly opened my eyes, then squinted, as bright white light flooded through them. I was in a hospital bed of some sort, my arm in a cast and my leg was...was.....gone. "Where's my leg?!" I said as I began to panic. "Chris calm down. You've been out for a week. They found you in a trench, almost dead. They did what they had to do to save your life. There wasn't a choice when it came to amputating your leg. It was all for you."

I looked at the man who had spoken to me. He was very old with bushy gray hair. He was wearing a suit that looked like it came from the 60's and used a cane with engravements of angels on it. "Who are you?" I asked, knowing that I had never seen this guy in my life. "Well your guardian angel of course! Who else would come to comfort a lonely yet stubborn young man?" he asked

"You've got to be kidding me. Well if your my so called "guardian angel" then let me die, its no use living when all you got is one leg" I mumbled. "Now listen young man, there are plenty of people who have lived with no legs. You must not think like that. You will never get out of this hospital with that negative attitude," he argued. "Who says I wanna leave? I got a roof over my head and food in my stomach. It would be pleasant to die here. Out there I got no family, no food, no house, no job. I would be one of those poor people begging in the streets!" I yelled at him. "Lets take a walk," my guardian angel said. "Well now you're just making me feel bad," I muttered.

My guardian angel called for the nurse, whom I heard her call my guardian angel "Fred". He asked for a wheelchair and assisted(more like dragged) me out of bed and helped me into the chair. Then, managing to walk on his cane and push the chair, he led me into the hospital gardens and if I wasn't so steamed, I would have admired the beauty of it all.

Fred walked over to a bench and took a seat. "Nature always had a plan for us young Chris. It may contain many roadblocks, but we must understand that in the end, we will find happiness. Don't envision dying when you still have so many years ahead of you. Don't you want to find a good job and make your mark in the world? Don't you want to find love, have a family, and experience so much happiness? Your a handsome, hardworking young man Chris, don't let anyone think otherwise," he said calmly. 

The way of his words was very eye-opening for me. They made me think of things I never thought of. They made me see my youth in a new light. I still had a whole life ahead of me! One leg shouldn't be the one to stop it. "Will you help me?" I asked Fred. "Its my job kid, guarding and guiding is what I do," he said, giving me a wink.

                                                                          The End