𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

BORN TO DIEconfessions

BORN TO DIE
confessions

BELLA LOOKED AT Edward before speaking

BELLA LOOKED AT Edward before speaking. "Wait, I have a question. It's just one."

He sighed.

"One," he agreed. His lips pressed together into a cautious line.

"How does it work - the mind-reading thing? Can you read anybody's mind, anywhere? How do you do it? Can the rest of your family... ?" Bella blabbers on. This was the first time she was actually asking him questions about vampires and she couldn't help but be overly curious.

"That's more than one," he pointed out. Bella simply intertwined her fingers and gazed at him, waiting.

"No, it's just me. And I can't hear anyone, anywhere. I have to be fairly close. The more familiar someone's... 'voice' is, the farther away I can hear them. But still, no more than a few miles." He paused thoughtfully. "It's a little like being in a huge hall filled with people, everyone talking at once. It's just a hum - a buzzing of voices in the background. Until I focus on one voice, and then what they're thinking is clear.

"Most of the time I tune it all out - it can be very distracting. And then it's easier to seem normal" - he frowned as he said the word - "when I'm not accidentally answering someone's thoughts rather than their words."

"Let me get this clear. From all the times when you said 'I've find you hard to read' you literally meant it?" Bella hesitantly asked. If that was the case than he should've known about everything by now.

"I can read everyone's mind, but apart from yours," he confirms.

Bella let out a sigh of relief, but curiosity filled her again. How come he can't read her thoughts. What makes her so different? Aside from being a hybrid.

"Why do you think you can't hear me?" Bella asked.

He looked at her, his eyes enigmatic.