Short Story: The Transformative Towers

Softly I traced the bricks of Zeus, the eldest building of four, that have been apart of Kingdom Dawne since the beginning of time. This construction, was in the farthest part of the kingdom, isolated like its siblings, and deadlock in its statue.

People in the kingdom visited the sites, to either steal the material, vandalize, or attempt to open the doors that lead inside. It was said that riches would be unveiled.

Nobody seemed to understand how durable the building was. No matter what weapon was used on the walls, the towers failed to obtain a scratch. I chuckled at the thought, before retracting my brown fingers and slipping them into my pocket. I kicked at the grass, before glancing back at the tower. "I know I come, and spill out my problems, but I just can't believe I'll be eighteen soon."

In a week, my birthday would arrive, and my mother would get me a job in the palace. Doing such wasn't for me, but, frankly I had no choice, poverty surrounded my home, whilst hatred surrounded my family. I couldn't continue here, and everyday I expressed such to the building. No answers followed my rant, however it still felt comforting to talk to it.

I glanced at the sky, the sun was setting,
it would be evening soon. Rolling my brown irises at the thought, I stood off the building. "Until next time my friend."

I reached for my bag, but frowned at its absence. The brown bag was nowhere in sight, it contained my mother's money.

The trees in the forest rustled, the wind brushing against my cheek, as it fluttered my skirt and shirt. I flickered my eyes onto the woods, a brown material catching my eye. It was my bag, in a tree it was tangled amongst branches. Smiling, I raced into the forest. I began climbing quickly.

Abruptly, the ground began violently shaking. I hugged the trunk, leaves falling onto my body, as everything vibrated. I lost my grip, and fell onto the ground. Groaning, I rolled onto my stomach, before glancing upright. Thick walls had exceeded from the ground, on either side of the tower.

I scrambled to my feet, and ran alongside the crafted walls. I ran until I had rounded the entire outside perimeter of the kingdom, every tower had connected to make four walls. I was locked out.

"My lady."

I turned at the voice, and was acquainted with the sight of an elderly man. He smiled warmly, whilst leaning on his cane. "You are free now."

I frowned, breathing heavily. "What's happening?"

"Its been decided to enclose the kingdom. Here."

He threw a brown bag at my feet, it was my own. Golden jewels crowded the inside, each uniquely different. I crouched down. "How did you get this?"

The man shrugged. "From the towers."

I glanced at him. "Who are you?"

He smiled softly, before turning around. "I am the spirit of Zeus."

With that he disappeared.