Madeline of Colus

My Ma told me many stories when I was younger. I was raised on the tales of the legendary heroes across our land. From the vessel, Ophelia, to the first king Augustus, I learned them all. However skeptical I was when I was younger, I have come to learn the truth of them now. At the moment, the creation of dragons comes to mind. The remnants of the dark sky remind me of the dark dragon. The pinks and oranges remind me of the neutral dragon. The sun itself reminds me of the light dragon.

Before sunrise every light, I come to this hill directly across the lake from my hometown. I come here to pray to the Goddess and to plan out my day. I also practice my neutral magic.

I never considered myself particularly pious, but this routine has served me well. It allows me time out of my busy schedule to practice neutral magic along with the peace of prayer. It combines one thing I enjoy doing, and another thing I have to, unfortunately, force myself to do. It creates a perfect balance for the rest of the light.

Gazing at the sunrise for a few more seconds, I begin to breathe deeply. I close my eyes and begin to pray. I feel the cool grass underneath me and the cool breeze caressing my cheeks. It's currently autumn, and soon it will be winter. If you focus hard enough, you can smell winter coming. This is my favorite season. This is the season I feel the safest.

My local village priest says that the Goddess protects my village and all of Magalia. That the ability to feel safe is a gift from the Goddess and it should not be wasted. I pray that training like this is not wasting it.

I finish praying and reopen my eyes. The world is a little brighter now that the sun is somewhat illuminating it. I yawn and stretch as I pick myself off the ground. Now is the time for practice.

I start by taking a large rock that's jagged around the edges. The rock is bumpy and could puncture my hand if I push too hard on it. Gradually, I morph the rock from a jagged mess to a smooth ball. I can't help but smile as I do it perfectly my first time. This is a first for me, as typically the rock either disintegrates or becomes more jagged.

I drop the ball onto the ground and kick it as far as I can. I watch it fall off the hill and fly into the distance. Of course, it disintegrates mid-air but I'm still quite happy with my result.

Next, I take out my water flask, open the container, and place it on the ground. I step back and pick up a single drop of water from the flask. I stretch it mid-air and move it closer to me. I play with it allowing the water to flow back and forth before opening my mouth and dropping it in. This too is progress as typically the water flask bursts. I walk back to my water flask and close it, so no bugs or other critters jump in.

I take a deep breath as the wind blows back towards me. Using my breath, I force the air toward a near-by tree branch. I, once again smiling, watch it rattle in the wind. This one wasn't as new because I've done this before, but so far, today has been a good day.

Now I am left with an option: do I continue with fire or do I drop it now and head back. Dawn will be over soon, and I don't want to be late for my job. I sigh and grab my flask. I'm not good with fire anyway.

I start the long hike back to my village. The hiking path reminds me of the first time my ma and I walked this trail. She was telling me the story of the legendary king Augustus. The stories say Augustus was born as a farm boy in the far west of Magalia. When the Misos came bringing war with them, Augustus was chosen by the Goddess to bring peace to our world. Wielding Her power, Augustus created a barrier that stopped those fiends from attacking. The barrier is still up and protects us to this day.

The sun has fully made itself known to those on the ground as its warm embrace envelopes the land. The morning chill has yet to wear off yet but by tenth hour this whole region should be warmed.