Goodbye

This one-shot is dedicated to bloops_are_reality and uwu-monster who, in Lost and Found saw Zack's tearful goodbye to his couch. This won't make any sense to those who haven't read Lost and Found, Under the stars. Enjoy :P

Zack's POV:

As I watch Ray walk into the other room to sort out the things she wants to take with her, I look around our small apartment and think of some of the memories that we made here. As I'm looking around, I spot our couch sitting on the floor, looking rather forlorn. I wander over to it and run my hand along one of its arms, starting to get upset.

I've slept of many couches, never really liking the idea of a bed. After all, why make the effort to walk all the way to bed if you're tired and don't want to move? This one though... This one is special. 

My couch in the underground kill-for-all was a comfortable one, although over the years it had got a little worn down with a few blood stains here and there. But it was always there for me. I must admit, I shed a few tears when I knew I'd never sleep on it again. I try not to think about it now, after realizing that I must have been waiting for me. Yet I never returned to it and it would have been swallowed up in flames. 

That's why I can't leave this one, especially because aside from a few odd stains here and there, it's still in pristine condition. I've never felt a connection to a couch as much as I have this one. Always reliable, never fails to make me comfortable. It was also where Ray and I sat to watch movies in the evenings. 

"Hey, Ray?" I called out to her, hoping that she would help me figure out a way for us to bring it with us. After all, she is the brains of our team. 

"Yes?" she calls out a little impatiently. I don't understand why until I realize that I'm meant to be packing up. Oh well, the couch is more important than packing! 

"Can you come here for a second?" I ask, hearing her groan with annoyance and start shuffling towards the room. As she walks through the door I feel a little guilty, suddenly remembering about her leg. 

"What?" she asks.

"Oh, sorry I forgot about your leg," I say, rubbing the back of my neck, then looking back to the couch. I hear her sigh and start to come over to me, giving me a hug. I find it amusing that she acts like an adult so much of the time, especially when trying to comfort me. 

"Right, now what did you want?" she says softly.

"Ah, yes, I was wondering if we could bring the couch?" I ask hopefully, surely she'll understand - surely she knows how important this is to me. 

"Why?" She asks, looking up at me looking confused. I blush slightly, realizing that she clearly doesn't understand the significance of this, feeling embarrassed at what I'm about to say. 

"I've um... I've kinda got attached to it," I say, a few tears starting to form in my eyes as I look at how lonely the couch already looks. Ray slowly removes her arms from me and backs away a bit, an eyebrow raised. I already know what she's going to say as I start to tear up more. 

"Please tell me you're joking... Zack, we can't take it with us, that's too much work," she says, and at this point, I have no idea what she's thinking. Probably thinks I'm more insane than ever. My heart feels like it's been crushed into a million pieces. If I were a rational person, I would agree with her and would have never even had this problem in the first place. But I'm not, so here we are. My heart is breaking and there's nothing I can do about it. 

"I guess so, I'll just have to make the most of my time left with it," I say, sniffing. She walks away as I go to lie down on it one last time...

After everything's been packed, I once again stand to look at the couch. 

"I love you, I'll always love you. Never forget me," I say, now unable to hold my tears back as I fall to the floor and sob.

"Goodbye..."