Chapter Forty-nine

Swiftblossom and Wolfspirit made their way back to where they sat. The cheering of their names faded as the two new warriors sat down with Pricklepelt and Blizzardtail. Clancats near them muttered their congratulations and the StarClan cats have left. Swiftblossom sat down beside Pricklepelt, who lovingly touched her flank with his tail-tip. Wolfspirit took his seat beside his mate and wrapped his tail around her.

Lionstripe continued the meeting, "Although we have lost Beetlekit, Brinekit, and Poolkit, TideClan still has four new apprentices along the way. Lilykit, Russetkit, Briarkit, and Flaxkit, please step forward."

The four kits made their way to the bottom of the Clanrock. They were much bigger than Swiftblossom remembered them to be, especially Flaxkit, who was skinny normally. "Until you all receive your warrior names, you all shall be known as Lilypaw, Russetpaw, Briarpaw, and Flaxpaw. I ask that Pricklepelt, Clovertail, and Tortoisetail please come forward." 

Pricklepelt's ears perked up in surprise and he hurried forward. Swiftblossom stifled a chuckle, watching the tom scramble to the front. Beside him were Clovertail and Tortoisetail, and the three warriors stared up at Lionstripe.

"I have specifically picked you three as mentors to our new apprentices. I shall mentor Lilypaw. Pricklepelt will mentor Russetpaw, Clovertail will mentor Briarpaw, and Tortoisetail will mentor Flaxpaw." Lionstripe stepped off from the Clanrock, dropping from the top to the bottom, landing on her paws, to touch noses with Lilypaw. Pricklepelt faced his apprentice, a bit nervous. The dark brown tom hasn't had an apprentice in a while. Pricklepelt and Russetpaw touched noses a bit awkwardly.

"Lilypaw! Russetpaw! Briarpaw! Flaxpaw!" Dovefeather began. Swiftblossom then joined in, then Wolfspirit, then the other clancats. Everyone was relieved to have four apprentices in the clan, to fill up the missing places of Beetlekit, Brinekit, and Poolkit. 

Pricklepelt will be the best mentor to Russetpaw. I just know it, Swiftblossom thought positively. The clan continued to cheer for the four apprentices before Lionstripe dismissed the clan. Immediately, Briarpaw, Russetpaw, and Lilypaw rushed over to Swiftblossom, their eyes filled with joy. "Congratulations, Swiftpaw--I mean, Swiftblossom!" Lilypaw meowed. 

Briarpaw cuffed Swiftblossom's ear, "I knew you'd be a warrior today. It seemed so perfect," the brown calico she-cat purred. Russetpaw was eagerly pacing back and forth, "I'm so ready to be a warrior!" Pricklepelt was a couple of pawsteps behind his apprentice, chuckling lightly. Dovefeather and Sparkclaw also made their way over to see their kits.

While Dovefeather and Sparkclaw gave attention to their kits as if they were just newborns, Blizzardtail scoffed at Pricklepelt, "Have fun being a mentor. You don't know how free I feel."

"Hey!" Swiftblossom yelped at the white mottled tom. Everyone began to chuckle and Swiftblossom blinked slowly at Blizzardtail. Wolfspirit nudged his mate and meowed, "Come on, we should be getting our nests ready." It was best to have their nests established before their vigil so that after their ceremonial night, they could rest. Swiftblossom examined the two warrior dens. Two dens were made because these Clans were large. But TideClan has fewer warriors... we don't even need another den in this case. But Swiftblossom wanted to restore faith in her clanmates. The Clan may feel small, but I want to sleep in the second den. It'll be a good reminder that TideClan will once again have its glory and its plentiful warriors. 

Wolfspirit was about to enter the first den until Swiftblossom told him, "Let's sleep in the other den."

"Why?" he questioned, tilting his head. My goodness, he's cute like that. Swiftblossom thought tenderly before she replied, "The Clan is smaller but I know that if we sleep in the other den, it'll show that we'll be bigger someday."

He took a moment to process the information before he turned around to enter the second den. "I see. Let's make our nests, then." But he stopped in his tracks suddenly. Swiftblossom nearly bumped into her mate. Wolfspirit turned around to her and he teased, "I know you wanted to sleep in the second den so you could curl up next to me."

Her eyes widened and her pelt felt on fire. Swiftblossom averted her gaze shyly and her tail lashed uncomfortably, "U-um... maybe..." she admitted to her mate. He roared in laughter and briefly licked her lips. "It's fine with me. I love it when you're close to me, anyway," he reassured her.

Swiftblossom looked up to her mate, narrowing her amber eyes. "Then how about if I don't curl up next to you then? If you're so positive about it."

His expression went from amusement to shock. His green eyes widened and he whimpered, "L-love!"

"I love you, Wolfspirit!" she chirped, her tongue running over his ears before she padded over to the pile of spare moss and reeds. Wolfspirit's ears flattened as he looked at his mate, a bit annoyed. Swiftblossom stifled her chuckles as she began to make their nest, making it big enough for the both of them.

She then felt her mate's pelt brush against hers. He buried his muzzle into her neck comfortably and he told her, "I'm happy that you and I were able to become warriors together."

"Me too, Wolfspirit. We'll be the best warriors. I love you."

"I love you too, Swiftblossom."

~

The elders had to bury the deceased warriors early because of the snow. The TideClan cats suspected that there would be a heavy snowfall tonight. But as Swiftblossom and Wolfspirit sat vigil, there were only flurries. The two sat in the center of the clearing, back to back. They watched the quiet clan but also waited for Lionstripe and Baydawn to return. With a calm breeze blowing into the clearing and the soft snores of her clanmates, Swiftblossom felt at peace, unlike earlier today. Some of her scratches did ache but it didn't bother her that much.

Since the two were used to staying up late, they had no struggle with staying up late. Above, Silverpelt and the moon were bright as ever. Some heavy clouds lingered but it didn't hide the beauty of the night sky. 

"The sky may be beautiful, but you're even more beautiful," Wolfspirit whispered to his mate. She giggled lightly and entwined her tail with his. 

The rest of the night was calm. It was almost as if StarClan gave mercy to the troubled Clan.

_____________________________

Why not flex some Swift x Wolf on y'all? Haha!

Also, I would love to mention that Briarpaw is  's OC! She's a dear friend of mine and we both love writing Warrior Cat Fanfictions!

-Morgan