Chapter Fifty

The full moon hung above the whole forest. Its dignified rays of light delicately touched all life. The group of TideClan cats weaved their way through the uprooted, willow forest that led to the StarRock. Tonight was the Gathering but TideClan had jeopardous news.

A pretty calico she-cat was in the middle of the group, her long fur groomed nicely. Beside her was a bigger tom, a pelt as black as night. But when the moonlight touched his fur, his black stripes were visible. Four apprentices followed behind them; they were told to stick close to the two warriors for safety reasons. Swiftblossom's tail lashed to feel their whiskers, making sure that she wasn't going too fast. The new warrior was young, quick, and she didn't want to leave behind the apprentices.

"I wonder what the Gathering will be like!" Flaxpaw meowed excitedly, his thin tail lifted high in the air. Russetpaw wondered out loud, "The StarRock must be so pretty, too!"

"Keep it down up there," Behind them, Beeclaw hissed at them, his tail bushing up. Briarpaw glared at Flaxpaw and Russetpaw before she hurried up to walk beside Swiftblossom. "They talk way too much," Briarpaw whispered to Swiftblossom, who chuckled at her comment. In front of them, the senior warriors who were chosen to go walked. Lionstar led the cats towards the section of the Grand River where they had to cross.

The tides weren't too wild tonight. As the first five cats dipped into the river, Wolfspirit turned his head, noticing a slightly shaking Lilypaw. "What's the matter?" the tom asked the white apprentice.

"U-um... I'm a bit scared to swim..." Lilypaw admitted, stammering. Wolfspirit exchanged glances with Dovefeather, who just passed by, then he offered his back to the small apprentice. "Just this once I'll carry you across--"

"Thank you, thank you!" Lilypaw excitedly hopped on, Wolfspirit staggering slightly under her. But he didn't mind and stepped into the river. The cold water enveloped his legs and his belly as he swam and kept their heads up. Swiftblossom was just behind him, leading Flaxpaw, Briarpaw, and Russetpaw towards the other side. He found it quite motherly of her, the way she let the young apprentices stick close to her as ducklings would to their mother. She helped the stocky Russetpaw with his balance in the water by nudging him. She would make a good mother one day, he thought fondly.

Swiftblossom soon made it to the other side, remembering her first time crossing this exact bend. I was fearless, unlike these apprentices. Though, I don't blame them. Ever since the rogue attack (only three days ago), every cat has been cautious and frail. The apprentices had trouble swimming and patrols were doubled greatly. Some wounds never heal...

She witnessed Lilypaw climbing off of Wolfspirit's back and joining the other apprentices and Swiftblossom just chuckled at her drenched mate. "That's quite nice of you to do that," she told him. He rolled his eyes, "The she-cat just wanted a lift, that's all." The two looked up at the great climb of the hill and sighed. They both knew that they would have to help the apprentices up the steep hill, too.

Pricklepelt and Tortoisetail had to remain behind in the camp to guard in case of more rogues. In fact, most of the warriors stayed behind. The only cats who went were Lionstar, Blazestripe the new deputy, Beeclaw, Clovertail, Dovefeather, Wolfspirit, Swiftblossom, and the apprentices. Swiftblossom exactly remembered what Blizzardtail did to her when it was her first time climbing the hill, and she lashed her tail at Briarpaw.

"The climb would be dangerous since the snow makes it icy and slippery. So hold unto my tail if you must," she meowed seriously. Briarpaw gave her a doubtful look before she lightly clamped unto the calico's tail. Swiftblossom then unsheathed her claws to clung unto the stronger roots and stalks of flattened grass. Using her strong legs, she hoisted herself up and used her hind legs to propel herself up. Briarpaw moved as well but Swiftblossom felt another force latch unto their chain. She guessed it was another apprentice and continued to climb.