Chapter Fifty-one

The first thing that Swiftblossom saw was Baydawn's face. The calico she-cat felt very dehydrated when she awoke. Her hearing was slightly sensitive and her mouth was dry. Her vision was blurry but she was able to identify Baydawn quite easily. 

"Thank StarClan you're awake," the medicine cat breathed in relief before he pressed an herb against her lips. She couldn't identify what herb it was yet she ate it without complaint. It was honey. "This will help soothe your body. How are you feeling?" he asked gently, his tail-tip stroking her ears. Swiftblossom blinked slowly and her eyes moved around, observing around her. She noticed a sleeping Pricklepelt nearby and a sleepy Chivewhisker at the entrance of the medicine cat clearing, his back to her. Outside, it was nightfall, with gentle rain touching the cold earth.

"T-thirsty..." she croaked. Baydawn then yowled loudly over to Chivewhisker, "Water, now!" Chivewhisker jumped and scrambled out to fetch moss to dampen it with water. Never in Swiftblossom's life has she ever seen Baydawn show much aggressiveness or anger towards any cat. But he was just concerned for the she-cat. She had passed out, her body being overworked.

A body flinched at Baydawn's harsh words and a familiar yawn was at Swiftblossom's ear. "Baydawn, I've never seen you so antsy," Wolfspirit calmly meowed his black tail curling around Swiftblossom's hind legs tightly. The medicine cat narrowed his blue eyes at the black tom before he looked down at Swiftblossom.

The calico she-cat was grateful that Wolfspirit was with her. She moved slightly and Wolfspirit scooted over to make room for her to move. "Thank StarClan that Pricklepelt brought you back to camp. Though, you both seem mentally disturbed. Pricklepelt ate some chamomile to sleep easily, would you want some?" Baydawn asked but Swiftblossom sat up. "N-no! Baydawn, you need to hear me out..!"

"Woah, Woah! Darling, settle down," Wolfspirit ordered, a paw going to rest on her back. Swiftblossom shook her head and looked up at Baydawn. "Please, I think I know what the prophecy means..." she took a gasp of breath, her mouth super dry. Just in time, Chivewhisker came back with a dripping wet moss ball. Baydawn yanked it from Chivewhisker and immediately gave it to Swiftblossom, who lapped it up desperately. "You are free to leave," Baydawn told Chivewhisker, who grunted in response.

Once the senior warrior left, Baydawn lowered his head to observe Swiftblossom. "What about the prophecy?" he questioned. Swiftblossom lapped up all the water she wanted and she took a heartbeat to breathe. Then, the she-cat spoke, "When the prophecy talks about an illness that has swept into the clans, it means rogue blood. It means that those rogues are coming back."

Baydawn and Wolfspirit froze. The medicine cat's tail bushed up and his eyes widened. Wolfspirit's paw on her back slid off as he gasped quietly. Swiftblossom lowered her eyes. "I only know that part. If I'm the peacemaker, how am I supposed to bring peace when all the rogues want is the clans dead? For many moons, the clans have hated rogues and half-bloods. To think that HalfClans was a problem... For many moons, the clans have killed and thrown out rogues. Now they're coming back. Is StarClan punishing us?" Swiftblossom's heart felt heavy and she let out a small wail. 

For the first time in her life, Swiftblossom was scared. She felt like a small kit, wanting to hide behind her mother. The rogues are deadly. Dangerous. TideClan will not survive. Wolfspirit sat up and rested his chin atop her head. Swiftblossom buried her face into his chest, not knowing what to do. Baydawn moved in close to comfort the she-cat, the smaller tom licking her ears in a loving way.

Swiftblossom's mind was swirling and she thought she was going to go insane until something hit her. Wait... what if StarClan wanted this to show us a new path? A new path regarding the rogues. Did they pick me because...because... why? Why me? I'm nothing special. For a couple of heartbeats, she thought deeply before she found her answer.