Ms. Mara's Test

Ragena Mara jumped over the boulder, using her earth magic to propel her through the air. Her brown hair was tied back in a long ponytail, which flew out behind her. She sailed cleanly over the giant rock, landing on the other side. She used her earth magic once more to make the ground softer for landing. As soon as her feet touched down, she was rooted to the spot.

"Hmm...that was decent, I suppose," one of the instructors at a nearby table said.

Ms. Mara looked up at them. The three instructors were judging her and several other Kaster teenagers from the Pointed Caves town. Two of the instructors were high masters, and the other was a grandmaster. After all, the students would have to be tested by the highest-level instructors available if they wanted to be instructors themselves.

The other two judges merely shrugged their shoulders, also unimpressed with her demonstration. Ms. Mara masked her disappointment and merely bowed to the three instructors, thanking them for observing her. She then stepped off to the side as another student stepped forward to demonstrate his earth magic.

She brushed off her white top, inspecting the two red badges on her torso. One badge represented Kaster Form, the harder martial art system of the Kaster Lands. The other badge represented Dragon Form, the softer art created by the dragons themselves. In order to become an instructor, she needed to gain three black stripes on each badge. She had to prove she had the qualities and knowledge an instructor would have, by demonstrating her magical abilities and in working with others. If a Kaster student with red badges wanted to remain a student—or was not allowed to become an instructor—that student could still gain three stripes and progress in both martial arts systems; it just wouldn't be shown on their uniform. Otherwise, those who wanted to become instructors had to pass three tests, one for each stripe; if they failed the tests and were removed from the training, they could try to become an instructor at a later point. However, Ms. Mara wanted to become an instructor on her first try.

Ms. Mara always dreamed of becoming an instructor, as most Kasters did. After all, every Kaster practiced martial arts almost daily, whether they were serious practitioners or hobbyists. Ms. Mara just did not know if she was good enough to be an instructor—especially after her poor demonstration. Though she was always enthusiastic and willing to help others, she did not seem to have the skills necessary to prove her martial arts knowledge. But it was harder for people with more than one magic to get a handle on all of their magics. Ms. Mara had earth and fire magics, and therefore had to dedicate more time to her training if she wanted to keep up with the other students.

She looked up just as the other student finished his show. The boy jumped much higher over the boulder, which was the last obstacle in the earth magic course. He landed more gracefully than Ms. Mara, sticking his landing and not even making the ground shake.

The judges nodded their approval, looking impressed. The boy grinned and went to stand back in line with the other students. Ms. Mara shot him a glare, jealousy springing into her at once. She tried to shake it off; she hated viewing others in a negative light. She shook herself and glanced back at the judges as they stood up from the table and walked over.

"The earth magic test is complete. Next, will be the fire test. Anyone with fire magic, please step forward," the grandmaster said.

Ms. Mara took a deep breath, then moved out of the line. Two other students followed her.

"For this next test, those with fire magic must make a huge fire in under three seconds, then dim it down within two seconds," the high master said. "Who would like to go first?"

Ms. Mara sighed and stepped forward again; she might as well get it over with. Her fire magic was nowhere near as good as her earth magic, and she doubted she could pull off what the judges wanted to see. But she would still try her best!