Prologue

Ah, young love.

                Such a beautiful thing. When two people fall in love, it's nothing short of magical. Sparks fly, the angels sing and butterflies erupt all inside of you. A warm, happy and comforting feeling takes over your body and soul and suddenly, everything in the world makes sense. The person standing in front of you is yours and yours only.

                Nothing in heaven or on Earth could change the feeling those two people feel for each other. Well, at least not after the connections were sealed. It took a couple of tries, but once that connection snapped into place, well . . .

A Cupids job was complete.

For Amelia, or Ace as she had became known, her job may as well have been eating cake for hours on end. The simplicity made her tasks almost menial.  For her, she seemed to have a special knack in finding matches, in sealing bonds, and in practically creating soulmates.

"Another success, Ace?"

Walking into the main lobby of Hearts Anonymous, Ace waved at the receptionist. "Yep. Those two are about ready to Netflix and Chill to their hearts content. All uphill from here, I guess." Ace shrugged her shoulders and leaned on the counter, trying to peek at the computer. "Got anything new?"

The receptionist, Melanie, smacked her hand where Ace tried to turn the screen. Raising an eyebrow, she replied, "If someone new comes in, it will come down the proper line. I'm not going to be throwing you extras just because you're bored."

Ace pouted, slumping on the marble and groaning. "Fine. I'll wait. Like a good little Cupid. Talk to you later." Smacking the counter with a mocking smile and standing up, Ace wandered off to find her supervisor and maybe take a nap.

Passing other Cupids off to make the world a better place, Ace couldn't help but think of how much better things were now.

Before Ace earned her wings, before she could make matches, Hearts Anonymous still did things the old fashioned way. Lots of paperwork involved, lots of flying. Many, many arrows shot. And while some of those things were still valid, the processes of matching people were much more . . . civilized now.

Though she still had her wings, they were mostly just for show. Moments when Ace actually needed them were far and few between.

Technology replaced the need for mountains of paperwork and months of searching for proper matches. Matches were made swiftly, easily, and with high success rates. There were still failures, of course. When a Cupid put information in wrong or if statistics were skewed, it could throw off the entire algorithm.

Toss in a few techniques from the old days and voila.

Couples paradise for everyone.

Ace opened the door to her small but efficient office, letting it click shut behind her and flopping down in her chair. A nap really sounded good. Amazing, even.

Maybe just a few minutes . . .

"Ace!" Banging on her door, made Ace pry open her eyes and sigh.

"Well, I did want a job," she muttered before yelling, "Come in!"

The supervisor of her floor, Devon, peeked his head in, waving a folder at her. "Ace. The one. The only. The truest of all Cupids, the light of my entire life -"

"What do you want, Devon?"

He at least had the decency to look bashful as he entered the office, coming to stand in front of her desk.

Ace found her eyes drawn to the folder in his hand, the one Devon had yet to address, fidgeting in place like he did. She wasn't sure why he seemed to be so uncomfortable; he was the supervisor here, not her. "Wanna tell me whats up with the paper files? Didn't forget my email did you?"

Devon shot her an unimpressed look and dropped the folder on her desk. "This guy ... is becoming a pain for me."

Raising her eyebrow at him, Ace flipped open the folder and eyed the profile page. Which was surprisingly bare. Flipping the two pages back and forth repeatedly, Ace frowned and murmured, "Not a whole lot here. That's odd." Even without anything extensive though, the guy was good looking enough. Nice features.

Peeking up at Devon through her eyelashes, she found him ranting about the man he wanted to pass of to her and decided to tune him out, choosing instead to read the whole . . . two . . . pages.

Although, for just two pages, Ace could still tell he wasn't a bad guy. He seemed solid enough. So why the rough time finding him a match?

"- and it just feels like no matter what, I can't - -"

"I'll take him."

Devon stopped midsentence and stared. "Really? You'll take him for me?" When Ace nodded again, he sighed in relief. "Thank you. Thank you so much, honestly. I'm hoping our Number One Matcher can work some magic on him." Backing out, Devon gave her a two finger salute with a grin. "Let me know how it goes - I want wedding pics."

Rolling her eyes, Ace waited for the door to shut before turning her attention back to the folder. Dark brown hair and striking blue eyes looked back at her. Not much for smiling, it seemed. But Ace would change that.

Keith Barragan wouldn't know what hit him.

Oh, look, I've already got two stories in progress but what's one more? This shouldn't be a very long story

Oh, look, I've already got two stories in progress but what's one more? This shouldn't be a very long story. I'm not anticipating that, anyways. Try not to look too closely at this. I'm still trying to build the world and figure out what I'm doing here, but I really wanted to write a Cupid based story so this is what happened.