prologue

It was dead silent aside from the sound of my heart erratically beating in my chest. It was close to midnight and the chilling December weather and the howling wind was unforgiving. We were sitting against a wall by our car just thinking.

"Ivy," His voice had a hint of concern. When Zayn's cold eyes met mine his expression softened. "You can turn back if you want. I can handle this myself."

I smiled and began throwing my hair into a high ponytail. I still found it amusing how he still treated me like a helpless puppy.

"I'm not scared," I affirmed as I looked up to meet his eyes. "We both know I can do this, Zayn."

He groaned as a response, knowing and hating the fact that I was right. He used the heels of his palms to rub his eyes--a clear sign he was afraid. Zayn was a strong man, and he was never afraid, unless it was for my safety. To my surprise, he didn't say anything in reply. He just slowly studied my features with pursed lips and narrowed eyes.

"I want you to wait in the car." He simply stated while pushing himself off the ground. His expression rather unreadable. I quickly scrambled up on my feet as well. He fished in his pocket and pulled out the car keys. "Here," He said placing the keys in my palm.

Old habits die hard, I guess.

I clenched my jaw in anger. "After all we've done and seen you're telling me to wait in the damn car? You're unbelievable, you know that?" I dropped the keys between his two feet and proceeded to walk into the building.

It didn't take him long to catch up to me and when he did, he caught me by surprise my grabbing my upper arm and within a matter if seconds my back was pressed up against a nearby car The proximity between our two bodies caused me to react in such a way that goosebumps appeared on my skin. One of my arms were pinned above my head and the other one he held down.

"Listen to me," He growled and his nicotine breath fanned on my cold face. My breath hitched in my throat as my eyes snapped up at his. "I am the only one who can protect you. Don't you see that?" His voice turned into a whisper, his words close to dying in the wind. "You have no idea how much danger you're in."

We stayed like that for a few more seconds before he lets go of my arms. I sighed before my wide eyes met his. It was starting to get colder now and our breath could be seen in the dark night.

"You have to trust me, Zayn." I said shaking my head. "I feel like I'm the only one you can trust at the moment."

I look at him one more time and couldn't help but notice the longing look he had in his eyes. I felt bad, I really did, but this situation should not be under discussion because he knew.

"Goddamit, Ivy," He muttered before motioning for me to follow him. We were instructed to enter through the back door and after a short walk, Zayn stopped at the door. He pulled up his shirt by the side a pulled something from the waistband of his jeans.

"Here," He handed me a small black object. "Just in case." He looked at me with curiosity.

I eyed it carefully while clicking the safety on and off. "You know I have no idea how to use this thing right?" I said with a small smile. The bravado used in that sentence masked the intense fear growing in my stomach.

He laughed, "I know. That's why I said just in case."

I didn't try and make a move for the door. I was frozen. This was real. It was happening and to see how casual he was scared the hell out of me.

"I feel-" I started to say.

"We can talk about our feelings," He made a move to open the door while still looking intently at me. "It's just that I'd really rather not at this point."

The door was wide open now and long hallway was displayed in front us. We stood in the door way side by side.

Zayn looked down at me, "You ready, babe?"

No, but will I ever be?

--
so new story, finallllly. idk i like this idea and idk why i'm making a new story right smack in the middle of the school year but imma chill with it (::

dedicated to pyaarzain of course bc u know how much i love you

WATCH THE TRAILER ON THE SIDE OR AT THE TOP OKKKK

peace, love, & apple juice -chelsea