The Perfect End

"WOOHOO!!" Ashe's laughter echoed across the water as he resurfaced, his long hair plastered across his face. He beckoned to the other two on the shore with a grin, "Come on, Miss Claire! Wilardo, get in! It's warm!" 

Noel stared out over the glistening lake, a smile spreading across his face. He did it. He managed to keep everyone alive. Most importantly, he saved Claire. Leaning back on his elbows, he sighed, relieved that everything worked out. No demons, no murder, no monsters... even, somehow, the awful curse of his had been lifted not long after he had left the mansion. Noel repressed a shudder just thinking about it...  

"Siriuuuusss! C'mon, you know you want to get in!" Ashe waved to the two still on land. "Noel, you too!" 

"Ah, that's alright. I never learned how to swim, apologies..." Noel brushed a stray hair over his ear timidly. He couldn't help himself from glancing at Sirius, though, waiting for a response.

Sirius stared at Ashe with a pointed glare. "Will you stop that incessant shrieking?! I'm practically deaf because of you!" Noel suppressed a snicker. 

Sirius Gibson. 

Such a strange person. Yet, a good person, only met with misfortune. Unfortunately, Noel remembered every one of his gruesome deaths... and the times he'd killed Claire, however accidental... Noel shook himself. He shouldn't force himself to remember everything. Everything that had happened at that accursed mansion. Well, except for the old memories... 

Noel let a smile show once more. Those old memories with Claire and Sirius were precious to him. He closed his eyes as he envisioned those days. The wind whistling through the trees during those long games of hide and seek, Sirius boasting about his win and Claire forcing him to play another round. He recalled giggling as Sirius walked right past the tree he had been hiding in. But, that day had a bad memory attached to it, too. Noel remembered his pink dress getting a tear in it, afraid his father would be mad... but Dorothy just stitched it up for him. 

Someone cleared their throat, snapping Noel out of his stupor. He craned his neck, finding the source to be none other than the person in his daydream, Sirius Gibson. Ah, maybe "daydream" is a bit far... 

Sirius's voice was nearly a whisper, "Noel... I was wondering if we could, erm... talk." Noel blinked. 

"Of course! What's on your mind?"

Sirius turned away. "I wanted to talk about... the mansion." Noel flinched. "What happened when you disappeared?"

"..........."

"..........."

The air was silent aside from the playful yelps from Claire and Ashe in the water. Neither of them spoke for a long time. After what seemed like an eternity, Sirius sighed.

"That's not what I wanted to ask, actually." His voice was almost mute, still facing away from Noel. Noel leaned over, trying to get a better look at Sirius's face. His efforts were in vain, since every time he attempted this, Sirius would turn another direction. He surrendered after not long.

"When we met all those years ago, I didn't avoid you because I thought your games were stupid," Sirius seemed to think for a second, "well. Also that, but that wasn't the only reason." Noel smiled as his remark, glad Sirius hadn't changed much. 

"I was envious of Claire, actually. She got to spend so much time with you... but I could barely face you." Sirius tensed. Noel, confuses, waited for him to continue.

"It's not an easy thing to just spit out!" Sirius crossed his arms tightly. 

Noel waited for a long time, but Sirius never followed up his angsty response. Noel sighed and advanced, holding out his hand in a nonthreatening manner. His fingertips accidentally brushed Sirius's back for less than a second.

Sirius jumped and whipped around. "Just what do you think you're doing?!"

Noel smirked. The two realized in the same moment that they were facing each other once more. Their eyes met. Sirius glanced away surprisingly fast, but Noel held out a hand to stop him from turning his back again. 

"I think I can understand you, Sirius." 

His eyes went panicked for a moment. "You do?"

"I think so. I get that it's hard to say, so... I feel the same, Sirius." Noel's face flushed. Sirius was still for a long time, his face just the same shade of red. Noel allowed himself to let his attention drift to the action in the water. Suddenly, Sirius reached out his hand. Noel, shocked, almost recoiled at the touch, but welcomed it once he remembered their past conversation. Sirius reached for Noel's hand, but stopped himself before he even grazed the skin. Noel reached out and grabbed it before Sirius could rethink. They made eye contact once again. Noel was convinced his heartbeat was audible. A moment of silent agreement happened between the two, and then... 

"Come on in, you two, seriously! We're getting lonely! I can teach you how to swim!" Ashe's shrill voice sliced right through the moment. Noel and Sirius pushed away as fast as possible. Noel chuckled, and ran closer to the water. 

"Sirius!" He looked up with a flushed face, surprised. "Come on!" 

A rare smile slowly faded onto his lips. "Alright, fine," he turned up his nose in a haughty way, "but only because you all are getting on my nerveEEEEIII—!!"

Noel grabbed Sirius's arm before he could finish speaking and shoved him into the water. Ashe cackled, and Wilardo even let a small snicker slip. Sirius resurfaced, his expression filled with rage. 

"I let you all stay at my mansion, track in demons, and eat my food and this is the thanks I get?! It's on, all of you! Hohohoh!!" He spoke with a wicked grin, tackling Ashe and Wilardo underwater. Noel smiled.

This really was the truly perfect ending.