chapter one

"Turn your back on Mother Nature!" we sang, driving along the winding road of Hawkins, Indiana. The cassette was turned up to full volume as we nodded our heads along to the catchy beat.

Coming up ahead was Hawkins High School, a place full of your typical small town people. The populars, the nerds and the outcasts. And of course me and Brooklynn, our own personal high school clique.

"Can it be the weekend already?" I complained, pulling into the spot at the far end of the school's parking lot. If I parked closer to anyone else, it would only increase the chances of someone damaging my pride and joy.

"I heard Stacy Miller is having a Halloween party this weekend" Brooklynn said, clutching her books closer to her chest and shivering. It was a particularly cold October Thursday, the icy wind meandering through the parking lot and tangling my chestnut hair.

"Thank god, I haven't been to party since Steve's back in the summer" I sighed, staring up into the sky at the blanket of ominous grey clouds.

"Ugh, don't even talk about that guy. He's so full of himself. And have you seen his quiff? Like, hello, the 50's are calling and they want their hair back" Brooklynn huffed.

"It's okay, Brooklynn. You don't have to pretend you hate him in front of me. I know you have a massive crush on him" I teased, ducking away from her hands as she swatted playfully at me. At that exact moment, a black car, the exact same model as mine, came swerving past- mere inches from knocking me into next week.

From the passenger side, a short, ginger girl came tumbling out and rode away on her skateboard (presumably headed towards the middle school). The driver slammed his door shut, striding in our direction. He was tall, tanned and totally gorgeous.

"You almost made me crash!" he shouted, coming so close to my face that our foreheads were nearly touching. His sapphire eyes pierced into mine, the rage radiating off of him like a fire.

"Ok? But you didn't, so I don't get why you're so mad" I returned his anger-filled glare, whilst also being taken aback by how attractive he was. A chiselled jaw, breathtakingly blue eyes and a moustache decorating his upper lip.

"Because you were stupid enough to be in the road" he retorted, taking a step back and looking me up and down as if I was a piece of meat. Brooklynn tugged on my hand, eager to get inside and avoid any conflict.

"Well maybe you're the stupid one for driving so fast in a school parking lot" I slung my purple backpack over my shoulder, spinning on my heel away from the guy who almost hit me.

"Did you see how nice his ass was? He's so hot. Oh my god, I would totally date him" I heard a few of the girls comment as we walked into the school. The corridors were teeming with students all heading to their first class of the day. Unfortunately for me and Brooklynn, that class was Biology.

We were later than usual after the occurrence in the parking lot and there were only a few seats left. And they just so happened to be next to the infamous Steve Harrington.

"Mind if we sit?" I asked, gesturing towards the empty chairs. Steve nodded his head, turning back to his conversation. Brooklynn pulled a face, tossing her mustard-yellow bag under the table.

"Settle down class" Mr Sherman shouted, pushing his brown-framed glasses up as they edged further down the bridge of his nose. He had a habit of twirling his thick, twisted moustache between his fingers as he read the plan for his lesson.