II. Welcome

Rimuru had ordered the town square cleared so as not to alarm the children when they arrived. He knew that human children were in danger from monsters, and being brought here for their safety, but that was all Milim had been able to tell him. For the moment, though, that was enough. He also knew that many humans in the world he now called home would not react well to a crowd of monsters, and there was no way of knowing what these kids considered normal.

He waited alone as the portal opened. Milim could be seen on the other side, gesturing grandly for the group of kids. The girl was a bit of a ham at times, Rimuru chuckled. He waved to the kids, an easy smile on his face, and two of the older kids stepped through. The dark-haired boy looked suspicious, but the orange-haired girl, carrying a toddler, smiled back at him. Both looked around the square cautiously, though. Rimuru wondered why all of the kids were dressed in white, but just added it to the growing list of questions.

"It's okay," the girl called to the others. "You can come through."

Reassured, the kids started to walk through the portal, somewhat hesitantly at first, and spread out a bit, staring in wonder at the town. Milim hadn't told him too much about the kids except that they were kept isolated at what they believed was an orphanage, and that they were in danger of being eaten by monsters. He greeted those who spoke to him, and asked them to wait for their friends.

Soon, the last child and the only adult in the group was through the portal. Milim called out that she would be back soon, and the portal closed. He looked over at the children's caretaker, and promised himself he'd talk to her as soon as possible about what was happening on her world. First, though, he needed to get through the introductions, and get everyone settled. There were about 30 children altogether, and most of them were a bit scared.

Once the children had calmed down, with some encouragement from the dark-skinned woman, Rimuru spoke to the group.

"Welcome to your new home. I know many of you have questions, and I'll do my best to answer them, but there are things you need to know and understand about my town and about the orphanage where you grew up. You were told it was no longer safe there. That is true. This place, though, is safe."

That wasn't actually true. The town faced multiple threats, but at the moment, the kids needed reassuring.

"It is safe, because the people who live here are strong and good, and they defend their homes and their friends. That said, I must tell you that my town is home to many different types of people. Some will seem very diff..."

"Hey there! What's goin' on?"

Rimuru froze at the voice. 'Wasn't Gabiru supposed to be gathering Hipokte herbs in Veldora's cave? Did no one tell him?!' He yelled internally in his mind.

Rimuru turned to see the dragonewt approaching the group, looking curious. The kids stared wide-eyed, and Rimuru knew they were seconds from panicking. If even just one of the 30 children managed to flee the town, they could be seriously hurt. Some of the predators in the woods were troublesome, even for his hunting parties.

"Don't be afraid!" he hurriedly called out to the children. "I did say the people here were different." The kids were still edging away, but now the woman - 'what was her name again?' - was stepping in to help control the situation.

"Stay together, children, and back away slowly," She moved around the group, offering advice and reassurance where she could, but Rimuru noticed that she was careful to keep well clear of Gabiru, herself. There was no attempt to put herself between the kids and the potential threat.

'Curious.'

"Kids, this is Gabiru," He nodded to the dragonewt who nodded and waved in a friendly manner. He seemed wary of getting any closer to the kids for some reason.