XII. Alone

After dealing with Yukko, Rimuru returned to the others. The ones who could fly used their skills to quickly fly onto the next plantation, beyond the wall. Kaijin and Myrd were there, as they looked the most human, despite being dwarves. Rimuru had made certain that all the parties would have at least one member who looked human, in order to calm the children down.

Gabiru and his dragonewts were also there. Rimuru had been hesitant about letting him go, as he feared that seeing him would panic the kids, as he had the first group, but there had been no choice in the matter. They just didn't have enough human-looking citizens to spare.

Luckily, though, it seemed like his worries were for naught. Although some of the kids were definitely keeping their distance from him and the other dragonewts, a lot of the others seemed fascinated and were scrambling to get closer to them.

At the moment, though, Gabiru had his hands full, literally. He had two baby humans in his arms, both of which were bawling their eyes out, and he was having no luck soothing them.

"Come on, little runts," Gabiru almost pleaded with them. "Hush-hush-hush!"

Rimuru bit his tongue to keep from laughing. "Any problems?" he asked as he landed.

Gabiru seemed to forget about the kids for the moment, as he stood to attention, with the babies still in his arms. "None at all, sir. My men and I successfully took down the demons we found patrolling here. And after some coaxing, we finally managed to convince the run... I mean little dears here to come with us."

Rimuru nodded, and then noticed something. "And what about the children's caretaker?"

At this question, Gabiru sobered and looked down. "We told her what we were here for, and that we intended to save both her and all her charges. We said they would all be perfectly safe, but..." His pause gave Rimuru all the answer he needed.

"She refused?" he asked.

"She attacked!" one of Gabiru's fellow dragonewts said. "She went straight for us, and tried to take us down. Obviously she failed, as no one can take down Lord Gabiru. He..."

"What happened?" Rimuru interrupted. He knew from experience that once these guys got into their usual habit of praising Gabiru, they could go on for literally hours.

"I was able to halt her attacks, knock her out, and then tie her up back at the house," Gabiru said proudly. If one could be proud of knocking a lone woman out and tying her up.

Rimuru was about to nod again, when he thought of something. "Wait. You left her back at the house?"

"Of course. I didn't think it was best keeping her out here where all the kids could see her."

That made sense, but there was something else that worried Rimuru. "Let me rephrase that: You left her back at the house alone?!"

Before Gabiru could answer, a loud horn suddenly sounded throughout the entire plantation.

"Ga-bi-ru!" Rimuru hissed below his breath, as he clenched his fist, resisting the urge to punch the lizard's face.

"Can I hit him?!" Milim asked excitedly, making Gabiru gasp and jump back in terror. For once, Rimuru was almost inclined to grant her request, but at that moment they had more pressing concerns. The sounds of various creatures running and/or slithering from somewhere far off reached his sensitive hearing and magic sense.

"Save your punches for someone else, Milim," he said. "Open the portal and get the kids through quickly! We're about to have company!"