₀₃ bullshit

∘₊✧──────────────✧₊∘

IT WAS ALL TOO SUDDEN that she found herself sprawled across the grass, hair disheveled over her face and a sharp stone poking up under her knee. Mel's cheeks had already gone a pink, hiding behind strands of hair that, if they didn't so easily reflect the moon, could have been one with the night. Her only saving grace was the veil of darkness over her. Without it, she couldn't hide.

     "Shit, are you okay?" Echoed the voice of a boy through the thick of her embarrassment. Mel allowed the question to hang in the air for a moment as she tried to compose herself. Then, her eyes fluttered up to meet his gaze, only for her to shrink back further.

     Voluminous brown hair and earth-splintered eyes filled with concern peered back. Paired with smooth skin and a killer jawline—oh God, it was Steve Harrington. Practically the most popular face among the student body at Hawkins was currently perceiving her, and, oh God, the shirt of his Risky Business costume was drenched. Not only had she tripped over him, but she had just made Steve "The Hair" Harrington dump Kool-Aid and Jose Cuervo all down the front of himself.

     "I—I'm so sorry, I—" She stumbled for words.

     "—Didn't know I was lurking in the darkness like a damn ax murderer. It's fine. I'm sorry, actually," Steve tsked at himself. Mel's eyes stayed on the front of his soaked shirt, a searing press of focus, but Steve looked disinterested in the spill altogether. "Don't worry about it.  I can get it drycleaned or something."

     "Okay..."

     The breeze at her back felt like the point of a knife pressing concavity into to her skin. But a single glance back to the party felt like said knife had been lodged in her heart, so Mel stood frozen. Between an oak tree and Steve fucking Harrington, she was in some sort of alternate universe that was Tina's backyard under the guise of night. And she was pretty damn sure Steve had been the guy who cheated off of her on the sophomore Biology final, but she could be just as sure that, in this moment, she felt sorry for him.