Day 1

I woke up in the middle of the night to my cellphone buzzing. Groggily, I opened my eyes and let them shift to the alarm clock - 3:23 AM. Who was texting me at this hour? I had outgrown drunk - late-night texting by a few years. As had my friends. However, every now and then someone has too many glasses of wine, and that just ends up being comical. 

I rolled over, picked up my phone, and unlocked using my fingerprint. When I opened the blue bubble with an envelope in, no name appeared, just a string of numbers that were not familiar to me. The message I received at 3:23 AM read, "There's a sale on bananas". I felt a blip of recollection but as fast as it appeared, it was gone again. What a weird thing to text so early or late, depending on who was sending this. It must have been a drunk text meant for someone else. I set my phone back on the nightstand and willed myself back to sleep, to be awoken by my actual alarm clock three hours later. 

beep. Beep. BEEP. BEEP! 6:30 AM my alarm click, right on time, was blaring. I shuffled to my kitchen to get the coffee percolating while I brushed my teeth. Once it was ready, I poured myself a cup to sip while I continued getting ready.  I work-from-home so my routine is pretty basic but helps me to feel and be productive. All getting ready entails is changing out of my jammies and into yoga pants and a t-shirt, washing my face, applying face-lotion, and throwing my hair in a ponytail. While I was completing my morning routine my mind kept wandering back to that text message I received. Why was that phrase arousing feelings of long ago? I couldn't put my finger on it. 

At this point, I flipped the news on. From about 7 am till 7:30 am I finish my first cup of coffee and see what's happening in the world. A perky blonde came on live from somewhere to discuss the kennel show that was happening later that day. "C'mon, get to Janice, I want real news," I found myself saying out loud.

 A middle-aged woman in a red power blazer appeared on screen, "Good morning. I'm Janice Jarreau and this is KPTQ Channel 31 news." I nodded and sipped my coffee. "Parents, this is a special report with spring break approaching. Date rape reports increase around this time of year, some tips to keep yourself safe are to not leave your drink unattended, if someone wants to purchase a drink for you watch the bartender pour it and hand it directly to you, don't go anywhere alone, have safe words, and check-in and often with your group if you get separated". I shook my head, "Still teaching us not to get raped, I see." The weatherman discussed the next seven days and then it was time for me head to my office. 

I work for an IT company so my workday is pretty mundane. I stopped working at 4:30 PM and headed down to my apartment's gym, heading down at 4:30 pm beats the five o'clock crowd. At 5:30 PM I headed back up to my apartment to start dinner. I poured myself a glass of wine, began dicing vegetables, and was thinking about the text message and the spring break report I had watched earlier that day. Safewords triggered a light bulb to go on inside my head. Girls, staying safe. I dropped my knife on the counter and immediately dialed my bestfriend, I knew it'd be a long shot if she answered, but had to try. Much to my surprise she answered.

"Hey Em!"

"Hey Renee!"

"It's feeding time, so can't be on long."

"I knew it was a long shot that you'd answer now anyway. I'll be quick. Do you remember freshman orientation? Where they were teaching girls how to not get raped? Like come up with a safe word with your friends, etc?"

"That's random. That was a long time ago, but yes, I do remember." 

"I know. I'll explain later. Do you remember who else we were hanging out with and what the safe phrase was?"

"I remember the phrase, something about sales and fruit. Bananas I think. You, me, Angie...and Jodie? I think it was just us four."

"And we set-it up like we would ask if bananas were on sale to ask if you were ok. But if we made the statement that bananas are on sale, that meant we needed immediate assistance right?"

"That's what I remember...where is this coming from?"

I began talking more animated, "I know it wasn't Angie who text me, I literally just talked to her two nights ago. When was the last time you talked to Jodie?"

"I got a new number like four years ago, and it was probably three years before that."

"My number hasn't changed....that was another part of the staying safe. Memorize a few numbers in case your phone dies or you need to use a payphone/someone else's phone..."

"Emily. What is going on?"

"Okay. So, very early this morning I received a text message. From a number, I did not recognize. All it said was, 'There's a sale on bananas'. I originally thought it was a drunk text. I thought this was random."

"Whoa."

"Could it be Jodie? Is she saying she needs help?"

"I don't think it's a coincidence. I think you should let the authorities know."

"What do I say? Someone might need help. But that's all I know."

"You tell them everything we discussed. If it turns out to be nothing, a little bit of time got wasted. However, if it's something - do your part."

"Yeah. I'm going to call them now. Love you Rene."

"Love you too Em. Bye."