///

It was daylight, the island looked virgin as ever, only Ralph was running for his dear life. Surely, he wanted to see the light of another day even though this Island was hell. The vision of getting out of there back home was keeping him alive. They've chased him for weeks and he somehow always managed to escaped them, even though he was the only one against a pack, just a week prey for a group of angry feral boys with sticks. He couldn't pick point which he consider worse- beginning unbearable loneliness or losing hope and his mind. Day by day he was weaker, only surviving on fruits or water. He still got his pride- becoming savage was inconceivable. How could he? That would mean betraying himself and his dignity. Ralph swore to himself to never betray his sainted values, even if they would torture him.

„Just surround yourself finally! You're on your own, Ralph! Were going to catch you!" Ralph heard Jack's voice full of excitement and malevolence. He was suddenly getting out of breath, every day he was getting weaker and weaker from all this escaping, but it appeared that Jack and his tribe only loved the hunt and all that chasing more and more. Like cat and mouse. Cant won't stop chasing the mouse till the very end. That's how was Ralph feeling right now and Jack was right. He was really on his own...

„We're going to catch you! We're going to catch you! We're going to catch you!"

The noise echoed all around him, they apparently came with a plan to encircle him from both sides like a pack of hungry lions ready to attack. There was no escape. In the shadow of bushes and trees, he saw dark silhouettes of wild boys. Their eyes glowed in the shadows. But he didn't surrender, he was willing to fight for his life, for his hope of getting home, so he gathered up only to be sweep away from his feet to the ground by some strong arms with freckles. The breath was knocked out of him as he hit the ground in full space and strength. Jack quickly gathered up himself from the ground and he immediately attached a sharp stick to Ralph's neck not giving a poor boy a chance to escape. Both boys looked at each other with hate and maybe some secret admiration. What had become of you? They've asked in their minds. Their breaths connected in the same rhythm. The moment was interrupted by howling and joy of incoming boys. They gathered up around them, awaiting what their leader is going to do. But all they got was silence. Air was tense and all of this was suddenly getting insufferable.

„What are we going to do to him?"

„Yes. What are we going to do him?"

They all looked at their leader. Jack looked at the boy on the ground, he put his finger on his lips, clearly thinking.

„We should kill him." Proclaimed Roger.

„Yeah, we should kill him!"

„Kill the Beast! Spill his blood! Cut his throat!" The boys chanted.

„No!" Jack objected. „Quiet!" He yelled. „I decide here. Not you! I'm your Chief."

„So what are you going to do about him, Jack?" Roger asked with a monotone tone.

„It'll be good to have a prisoner for a while. What are you saying, boys?" Jack smirked. The boys cheered.

„Alright then, we're going to have a prisoner here. " Jack contentedly added, then tied him up with a rope and forced him to walk in front of them, Jack's sharp end of the spear still on his back.

///

Ralph spent the rest of the day tied to rocky ledges without water or food, in the direct sunlight he felt his skin burning slowly but surely. Only when the sun came down and suddenly was evening the boys brought him a piece of the caught pig, but he refused. Jack shook his head at him and rolled on a throne in the middle of a cliff built from animal bones. Ralph looked up at him.