Misunderstood

Newt's POV

It had only been a day after the Kaiju portal was closed but something didn't feel right, it felt sort've off... I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I knew it had to do with Hermann. After drifting with a Kaiju my body was still weak, it had troubles handling the Kaiju's immense brain power. I just hoped that Hermann was okay after this. Hell, who am I kidding no one can possibly be okay after drifting off with a Kaiju brain!

I did it twice and I looked worse than ever. I didn't even have time to clean up or change. My favorite jacket was torn, not to mention the bloody nose splotches that fell on my WHITE button up. And both my eyes were bloodshot red, boy I really hoped it would pass soon. Well, perhaps the biggest reason why I haven't changed and fixed up was because the whole crew/workers had a party. There were drinks, donuts, anything you could possibly think of. I felt like I hadn't eaten that well in years.

I chuckled silently, soon my forehead furrowed, my lips pulling into a tight line. There was something else that happened during the party. My eyes went wide when I remembered. But I mean, we were drunk right? Maybe he didn't mean it... Oh no... My thoughts completely returned when I remembered the hangover that I had with Hermann. We both got very, very drunk.

My entire face went red, I dug my head in my hands from embarrassment, even though I was alone, sitting on the floor of the lab. I tried to let go of the thought but I felt too terrified to move. Why was I scared? I wasn't even battling a Kaiju. They're gone, it's over. Why do I feel this way?!

What if Hermann left because he remembered what had happened... Oh, this is all my fault! I don't think he would even forgive me after that. I took a deep breath, trying to channel my thoughts to cleaning the lab, it was a mess. I reluctantly stood, still wobbling a little. I noticed a jar full of Kaiju organs had broke and there was juice all over the floor. Perhaps it fell when I was trying to sit down... There were stacks of paper, scattered everywhere. I knew Hermann hated it when I rearranged his things but I really needed to do something to get that damn thought out of my head.

I grabbed a dirty rag from the table and began to scrub the floor, trying to soak up all the residue from the jar that broke. A sudden knock came from the entrance to the lab, startling me and making me jump.

"It's just Hermann." The familiar voice said. There he stood, glory and all. Even though he had flaws and a bad leg, he still seemed perfect to me. He looked like a God. My stomach clenched again, remembering our hangover. "What are you doing?" He speculated, lifting an eyebrow. I looked back at the gross rug then back up at him.

"What does it look like Herm? I'm cleaning." I grumbled. He gave a soft laugh.

"Since when do you clean?"

I shrugged. "Dunno, just got a lot of things on my mind right now that I need to take care of." I said, continuing to wipe floor.

"What 'things'?" He asked curiously. Really? Did he really have to ask that question? Gah, this just made things harder...

"Just about that time when we drifted off together with a Kaiju..." I half lied.

"Ah, well. Yes, that was..." he could tell that I was working way too hard at the gooey puddle on the floor. He cleared his throat. I stopped and looked back up at him. He obviously wanted another explanation.

"It was just weird to be in someone else's head, okay??" I was frustrated. This wouldn't turn out well I could tell.

"What, does my head trouble you?" He said rather offended.

"No! No, of course not... like I said it was just weird." I continued to scrub at the floor.

"Newton, look at me." He said, grabbing the nearest stool. He then sat, placing his old cane on the floor. There was no doubt that he finally realized what was wrong with me. His piercing brown eyes relaxed, reassuring me that they meant no harm. A slight smile protruded from his lips. "Don't think that I'm oblivious to what your thinking. I remember last night too." He said calmly.

How could he be so calm?! It wasn't fair.

"If you think I'm angry with you, I'm not. I understand that we were drunk, and didn't mean it. Don't worry these things happen." He placed a firm hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, it happens..." I whispered. It didn't feel right. It didn't feel right at all. "Didn't mean it" huh? I didn't like the sound of that at all. Does that mean I really meant to kiss him? It was impossible to think that he'd like me back like that.

"Look, Herm... about last night," I inhaled sharply. He continued to look at me conspicuously. "What if I really meant it." I blurted. I shut my eyes tightly waiting for rejection. "I know we were drunk and all. But, in my opinion I didn't think it was a mistake." My lower lip trembled.

A sudden but soft hand gently touched mine, interlocking itself into the crevices of my fingers. I surprisingly looked at him with shocked eyes. Did he really..? I awkwardly blushed, my face turning red once again. I could tell his did too, it looked a little pink.

"Well then it wasn't a mistake." He added, his brooding handsome eyes stared deep into my soul. Oh how much I loved this man. Even though we fought so much I realized that we had some chemistry between each other. I was just afraid to admit it.

I slowly got on my knees, keeping his hand in mine. While keeping our eyes locked a sudden sensation came over me. I roughly grabbed the back of his neck and pulled him into a sweet, forceful kiss. He didn't hesitate at all, he followed through, wrapping his hollow arms around my hips.

I've always wanted to kiss him, I knew it deep down. From the very first time I saw him I fell in love. An overwhelming emotion of joy washed over me. My eyes began to water.

I couldn't believe this was happening.